Sad night

achake01

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Hi, all. I'm new at this. The 13 four-week old chicks made it through their first week in the outdoor brooder, but something got in there and killed all of them tonight. The brooder seemed so secure, enclosed by a heavy door that was difficult for even me to pull open.
My husband made the unfortunate discovery--he says the door was still shut, so the predator couldnt have used that as the entryway. Poor guy is out there cleaning up the mess and trying to figure out what happened.
I wasnt prepared for this at all. I had mothered these little guys, coddled them through everything from an eye infection to pasty butt, etc. and in recent days had started figuring out the boys from the girls.
It's incredibly traumatic and upsetting.
I wonder if I'm tough enough to try again. I don't know..
Anne Marie

I'm sorry...
hugs.gif

I am so sorry for the loss of your babies.
hugs.gif
It truly is devastating when something like this happens. I hope you are able to figure out where the predator got in and what it was. Don't give up on having chickens. Just learn from this and go on.

Thanks guys, I'm grateful for this forum. I don't know who else I could talk to about this who would understand. And I really don't want to talk to anyone right now anyway, I'm too upset. I appreciate the support. Anne Marie.

Sorry about your loss. What type of wire did you have covering it? Do you have pictures of your coop and run? I'd be happy to troubleshoot it. Sad to have all of that work undone.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dogfish
I'll take some photos and would be grateful if you could take a look. I can take some tomorrow.

Oh the wire: It was black plastic-coated hardwire cloth. Tough stuff--and expensive.

hugs.gif
hit.gif
, I am so sorry this happened. It has to be devastating to lose them all. I hope you can find out where the predator got in and fix it, please don't give up on chickens that lets the predator win. Show them you are in control.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom