Raptorchick

Serama-mama
May 21, 2018
Pine Grove, CA
Hi all :) I'm in the midst of hatching serama, started with 24 eggs and 9 have made it to today, so I'm really hoping to end up with at least 5 lol... they were shipped, which was mostly the cause of loss. But anyways, I have one with a very bad saddle air sac, 8hours ago I candled her and she had an internal pip into the side with more air sac development. I moved her into a mini brinsea advance so I can candle her from outside the bator, and shes clearly breathing, beak opens/closes, and she cheeps, but she hasnt moved or pipped from 8 hours ago. At how many hours should I help her pip? My last serama hatch I had 3 pip internally and die, 4 pipped then died, it sucked, so this time I'm assisting if it seems reasonable. Any/all advise is greatly appreciated, thanks ahead!

You can make a small hole through the shell to give it oxygen. Right into the air cell.
Thanks :) Its been 10hours since I noticed the internal pip, it could have happened hours before that.. I just poked a hole in the shell right over her beak, she seems fine (breathing/cheeping) so I'm gonna leave her and observe for a couple more hours....

Thanks :) Its been 10hours since I noticed the internal pip, it could have happened hours before that.. I just poked a hole in the shell right over her beak, she seems fine (breathing/cheeping) so I'm gonna leave her and observe for a couple more hours....
Definitely don't start assisting too soon. Was any blood still in the veins?..24 Hours is normal after internal pip to zip.

Hopefully it hatches soon. :fl

From my experience with shipped eggs, but more so with seramas, I usually only give them about 18-20 hours from initial pip before opening up the air cell end, to at least evaluate and make sure they are going to continue.

Some lines of seramas can be more difficult than others, and I seem to have more issues with the smaller ones. My larger ones usually hatch fine on their own, but tiny ones often require help.

I usually just remove the cap from the air cell end, and let the chick continue gaining strength. Moisten the membrane with coconut oil or Vaseline and keep an eye on it. Proceed slowly.

This one was left by a broody just this week. I helped it finish, and now it’s back with its momma outside.
492D3646-EDD4-47E8-BF6E-35443524D9AA.jpeg

Her veins are red, so yes I think shes still absorbing. Shes loud lol. Twelve hours now, she still hasnt changed position at all. The membrane started looking dry so I put a dab of oil to moisten. Shes wiggling and chirping real loud, humidity has been between 65%-70%, maybe she'll figure it out, I'll keep updating...

Hopefully it hatches soon. :fl

From my experience with shipped eggs, but more so with seramas, I usually only give them about 18-20 hours from initial pip before opening up the air cell end, to at least evaluate and make sure they are going to continue.

Some lines of seramas can be more difficult than others, and I seem to have more issues with the smaller ones. My larger ones usually hatch fine on their own, but tiny ones often require help.

I usually just remove the cap from the air cell end, and let the chick continue gaining strength. Moisten the membrane with coconut oil or Vaseline and keep an eye on it. Proceed slowly.

This one was left by a broody just this week. I helped it finish, and now it’s back with its momma outside.
View attachment 1604573
Thank you !! These ones seem smaller than my last serama hatch, different breeder so it's possible... What you stated is exactly how I assisted the other two, they are running around my styrofoam incubator looking great, I'll keep an eye on this one and do the same... shes definitely a fighter, maybe its a he lol...

Back
Top Bottom