sadly, the chicks arrived today

I'm so sorry.
sad.png

Quote:
thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!!!!!!!
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif
i feel so much better now that i have this information and that telephone number. the most horrible thing is, if I would have had that they more than likely would not have died. this means they died in denver, on a cold unheated truck waiting for delivery. which, to be honest just increases my sense of guilt, but i'll work through that, i didn't know
idunno.gif
idunno.gif

but thank you!!!
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

matthew ryan

Most likely not in a truck. They come in late evening, almost every time, and will be in the mail room until they get put on the truck to the local PO. I have only let them come to the local office once and it worked out ok, but I find that if I am polite when I call the center they work real hard at getting my chicks to me. They have called me several times. Dacona is only about forty minutes from the center.

I am still thinking it is more likely that they got too hot as opposed to too cold. I had some chicks come to me last year and it was very cold and it was fine. The breeder that sent those reds to me told me that chicks survive cold much better than hot if you have enough of them in a box. This old gentleman has been shipping chicks for a long long time. Adrian Rademacher, well known RIR guy.

Last edited:
It could also have been the transition from the hotter to the cooler that done it as well. Sad thing is, we will never really know for sure. But, it does go to show, if more people cared, less of this would happen
big_smile.png

Do not beat yourself up over this. You said something to the effect theat perhaps you should have waited until July!?! I don't think that would have increased your chances of a good outcome.
idunno.gif

I am so sorry to hear about this. DH & I use Sandhill for seeds & have found them to be very good people.
Yes, this is a tragedy.

Quote:
yes, and i'm getting better about letting go of the feelings. I also used Sandhill for seeds this year, specifically for sweet potatoe slips, and apparantly with the weather they have had this past winter they won't be shipping those out to anyone until July. I'm guessing i might be trying to save those for next year to plant then
cool.png

Last year I bought chicks from Meyer and they got lost in the mail.
sad.png
It was so sad to get the call from the post office, the gal was crying saying my box was silent. Amazingly after 4 days 5 arrived alive of 30 shipped. 3 eventually survived. When the replacements shipped I called and warned the Post office the day before they were supposed to arrive. I was at their door at 7 a.m. No chicks, again............... I was crying when I left, but I wasn't 2 minutes away when they called yelling that a delivery truck had just pulled in late with a very noisy box.

There were 4 deaders and eventually half the Japanese died within a the first 2 wks. I'd never, ever had a chick mortality problem like that. I won't buy from Meyer again.

This weekend we are getting bantam buckeyes and Minorcas from a local breeder.

wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
THE CHICKS ARE STILL ALIVE!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!! OMG THE FIVE CHICKS ARE STILL ALIVE!!! i haven't killed them!!!
th.gif

I am so happy! Not only are the five survivors still alive, I think we might have lucked out and two of them might actually be BLRW's!!!
ep.gif
ep.gif

*ahem* sorry, I got carried away. yay. they are alive.
big_smile.png

woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif

Blessings and Peace
Matthew Ryan

I am so sorry for your experience...but please know that it was not your fault!!! I am happy to hear that Sandhill is replacing the order and I hope and pray that your experience will not be repeated.

Back
Top Bottom