sadly, the chicks arrived today

It's been very warm between you and them so I imagine somewhere between them and you they got over heated.....I agree waiting till July would not have helped. When I got chicks from them they were in an approved chick box which I imagine these were too. Did you open them at the PO....they should have given you forms to fill out for insurance if you did.

Quote:
yes, i opened them, i filled out the form and had the postal worker fill it out. thank you for letting me know about the heat, that was one of my questions. the box was rather small and was simply cardboard with a whole bunch of wholes, some straw and what looked like a piece of apple. is this normal? and the box was not marked "live animals" in any way, nor was the shipping label.

Quote:
yes, i opened them, i filled out the form and had the postal worker fill it out. thank you for letting me know about the heat, that was one of my questions. the box was rather small and was simply cardboard with a whole bunch of wholes, some straw and what looked like a piece of apple. is this normal? and the box was not marked "live animals" in any way, nor was the shipping label.

Yes, that is a chick shipping box...all hatcheries use them. I imagine on the shipping label it says the hatch date ....that and the box type indicate there are live chicks inside.....not to mention the peeping.

any idiot postal worker should realize something living is in the box! hello the box is cheaping and peeping!! did your shipping box look like this?
cacklechickorder.jpg

notice the orange sticker in top left corner that reads, "LIVE BABY CHICKS"?

and on the inside:
cacklechickorder1.jpg

and there shouldn't be any food in there for them. they can survive without food for 3 days.

Quote:
no, there was not an orange sticker that said live baby chicks, and I was pretty sure they would not need any food since everything I have read states this. However, that is what my box looked like, and with the exception of your chicks being alive and mine being dead the insides are the same as well. At least I know the box is correct. Just not sure why this happened. I feel like this is all my fault somehow, and with everything else that has been going on lately this is the last thing I needed today.

Definitely not your fault.
Is there are chance that they shipped you chicks that might not have been day olds?

Can you post a pic of one of the live chicks from the side so we can see the feathering on the wings?

Sadly there have been posting about hatcheries sending birds older than day olds and it never works out.

this is the best I could do, will try to get better pics this evening when my partner gets home. They don't appear to have any feathering aside from the pinfeather/down stuff they are born with. They all appear to be, including the dead ones, day old chicks when they were shipped which would make them three day old chicks today.
These pics were taken about half an hour ago so for the time being they are still doing ok
smile.png
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom