sadly, the chicks arrived today

Most likely hot vehicle or sitting in a hot tarmac while waiting for the airlines to be available for the shipping to your state.

Sandhill should replace them as soon as they get the paperwork from you and then you can order replacements.

Poor things and poor you. Really though- it isnt your fault.

Let Sandhill ship you a replacement. Maybe ask them to put one of those large day-glo-orange stickers on their that identifies them as live animals... even though you would think the chirping would be a clue.
hmm.png

Quote:
Yeah, I am just waiting to hear back from them to find out if they will replace everything or if I have to pay for the five that would make a 25 chick shipment. *sigh* I hate waiting
caf.gif
caf.gif
fl.gif

I order my chicks from McMurray hatchery in Iowa and they ship priority mail. I get my chicks in 2 days time and I live in California. The box McMurray sends has in Big Red letters LIVE CHICKS. Out of 153 chicks recently ordered in the past 2 weeks, I only lost 3 of them so I think that is pretty good. One I lost because we was having a cool spell here the baby chick got trampled in the box and 2 died post delivery in the brooder.

I am really sorry you had to experience this. Call the company and tell them. McMurray replaces any chicks that dies within 48 hours of delivery but you have to meet the 25 chick minimum if you want replacement chicks otherwise you can get a refund.

They definitely look like day olds to me.

It's pretty unmistakable when we get chicks at the P.O, no matter what the box is marked. You can hear them all over the office until the new owner picks them up. If they don't do it as fast as I feel that they should, I harass the clerks to make sure they called them and then check on them somewhat regularly to see if they've been picked up, yet.

Unfortunately, yes, sometimes certain locations are only guaranteed 2 day express delivery. This is something that they should tell the sender when sending them, though and it should be on your label, what day and time the delivery was guaranteed by.

I'm sorry that you lost so many chicks. :-(

Quote:
I agree, but some people do not care and to some people it's just another package that they have to move. Sad, but true. Whether they died because of negligence, we do not know, though.

Quote:
I'm sorry to say this and I know I'll be inviting a lot of angry replies BUT... I work for an animal health company and I'm telling you right now that many "organic" chicks are less hardy than non-organic. I think if you hatched organic chicks yourself you would be fine, but I am not surprised that organic chicks had a perilous journey by mail.

Not trying to "ruffle any feathers" but I have lots of firsthand experience with this and 9 times out of 10 the "bad" stories I get is from organic poultry.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. What a sad, heart-breaking sight to see. Don't lose faith. Maybe you should get your $$ back and not work with that company again. Is there anyone locally that you can get your chicks from? I see you're in Colorado. I'm here too. I went to the Colorado Poultry Association's website and found lots of local breeders. I also got my first chicks from the feed store. Don't give up. Take care!

Quote:
It is sad, but I have finally started to get over it. Although, apparantly they have been having some problems with shipping the birds during the warmer weather. Not, as one might assume, because they are too hot, but because some well meaning postal worker decides they are too hot, puts them in front of an ac, and the birds get chilled. Chilled, in Summer! So, judging by the fact that the dead ones were mostly piled up in the corners, this is probably what happened, this or they got left on an outside dock overnight. But, thank you everyone for your words of support. I have spoken with SandHill and they are replacing the full batch, no charge to me. And, since the birds did arrive on time (albeit dead) they are going to be eating the shipping charges and paying to ship the replacement birds. So, I am back on the list for the BLRW, which is what I am most looking for, and they will include whatever else they have that is cold hardy and a decent egg layer, probably blue jersey giants since they are hatching so well this year. Very helpful, polite, got back to me when they said they would, so we will see what happens.

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, no ruffles in the least. A) you are entitled to your views and B) I can see why this would be the case. Shooting medication into things tends to give a good start, but ultimately can lead to bad problems further down.
smile.png
This is why I am here after all, to get multiple views on the same subjects and learn from people who have gone before. I am taking some info from this person, some from that, and making it my own podge hodge
big_smile.png
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom