Safe low temperature for hard boiled eggs

Northern Flights

Songster
May 6, 2018
Cariboo Country BC
Good day, eh. I'm Bob Mackenzie and this is my brother Doug. "Good day, eh".

Nah seriously, names aren't important, but results are. So I reckoned on badgering you all (y'all?) about hard boiling an egg to perfection, which is also safe -- no?

Please have a peek at the following link if you would, as it is the guide I use to hard boil these babies.

https://www.scienceofcooking.com/important_cooking_temperatures.htm

And please, consider that I typically boil at least 15 to 20 eggs at a time, placing them into a pot of cold water, carefully, then bring them gradually up to a light, roiling boil for ~1 minute, then cut the heat and let them stand in the slowly cooling water for 15 minutes. M'kay? :D

This produces moist, delicate and altogether unbelievably nice boiled eggs, but I am concerned the method I am using might not be safe, as far as microbes and bacteria are concerned.

We will be entertaining guests shortly, including a couple kiddies and one special needs young man, who is immunocompromised. I must be sure that I am not poisoning folks.

The external temp of the entire egg immediately after removing from the pot is ~165°, according to my infrared temp gun. Do you eggsperts figure that's good?

I'm not sure about exact temperature, but my method, which seems to work for me, is quite similar, but instead of letting the water cool for 15 minutes, I reduce the heat to a low simmer (temp will stay more consistent), for 13 minutes, then transfer to an ice bath to stop the cooking. So overall the eggs may cook/stay a bit hotter than your method, but for a slightly shorter period of time.

Seems like what you're doing is fine, OP.

Similar to you, but I boil for 3 minutes, turn off heat and cover for 10-15 minutes. Pour off hot water, fill pot with cold water, cool for 5 minutes or so, and then peel.

Edit to add: I never use "fresh" eggs. At least 2 weeks old. 3 or 4 is even better for peeling.

Yes, I was wondering if perhaps a bit longer boil would be wise. The longer it boils the better as far as safe temps goes. Ima do a test boil or 9 and see how much texture etc is affected.

Not that our eggs are dirty, they aren't, at least not visibly. We have never had even a slight issue with them, but a mistake might lead to unhappiness. It'll be the first time others are eating these eggs.

Thanks peeps.

Thank you for that great cooking guide! I have waterless cookware. As directed in their cooking guide, I bring my eggs to a rolling boil, put the lid on, turn off the heat and set the timer for 11 minutes. When the timer rings I remove the lid, pour off the boiling water and shock the eggs with cold water and ice. They are actually kept at boiling temp 12 minutes because it takes me that long to run in and turn off the timer. Any longer and the lid seals shut. Ask me how I know, lol! I also use eggs at least 2 or 3 weeks old and find they peel slick as... er... possible. The yolks never come out green, dry, hard or rubbery, but not wet in the center either.

Here is the recipe I use to hard boil fresh eggs. It hasn't failed me yet! And I use eggs that were laid that same morning, just chill them for a little bit in the fridge. It's the shock of going from cold, to hot, to cold again, that makes them super easy to peel. Please note that this is for eggs that will be peeled right away. I have used it for eggs that I keep in the shell but they are a little harder to peel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190813-164526_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190813-164526_Gallery.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 11
Here is the recipe I use to hard boil fresh eggs. It hasn't failed me yet! And I use eggs that I get from right under my chickens. Please note that this is for eggs that will be peeled right away. I have used it for eggs that I keep in the shell but they are a little harder to peel.

hmm... "leave on the hot burner" I wonder if this works well on a gas stove where the burner doesn't stay hot... just curious

hmm... "leave on the hot burner" I wonder if this works well on a gas stove where the burner doesn't stay hot... just curious

Yup, it works. I have a gas stove, not a fan of electric. So I can tell you it works. But I did edit my first post so please see that. I just forgot to add that the eggs need to be chilled before being boiled.

I steam them for 15 or 20 minutes in a covered frying pan with a vegetable steamer insert. It is the only way I have been able to eliminate that annoying blue green yolk ring from happening, which looks bad in my shrimp salad... I use eggs between 1 and 2 weeks old, so they will be easy to peel... Maybe others have not had this problem, as maybe their water doesn't do this to their eggs. But mine does, and this works for me. Since no water touches the eggs, I guess this is not technically boiling, but the results are the same (without the ring).

Back
Top Bottom