Safeguard dosage?

Because I have so many birds I put Safe-guard in their water. I shut off the water at their coops and mix it in waterers and put it out for them after they go to roost. The first thing they do in the morning is go for the water. This is what I do but I average around 200 birds.
Fenbendazole (safe-guard) can be added to water to worm your chickens; 4cc per gallon of water, leave it out for them to drink 2 days in a row, then discard, it must be their sole source of water during those 2 days. 14 days later dose them with the safe-guard (fenbendazole) 10% suspension liquid goat wormer; 3cc per gallon of water. Leave it out for 2 days, then discard.
There is no egg withdrawal period for hens being treated with Fenbendazole AKA Panacur and safe-guard...

There is no egg withdrawal period for hens being treated with Fenbendazole AKA Panacur and safe-guard...
There is no withdrawal when it's given at 1 mg per kilogram of body weight for 5 consecutive days. All other amounts require withdrawal.

There is no withdrawal when it's given at 1 mg per kilogram of body weight for 5 consecutive days. All other amounts require withdrawal.
I have too many birds to individually treat them. I don't make a habit of worming. I usually do it a couple times a year. Some may have some worms and some may not. Try treating around a couple hundred birds. I did a lot of research. This was the product information for Panacur/fenbendazole. I have also read about egg withdrawal periods and some sites do suggest it. Years ago I used Wazine which did have a 14 day withdrawal period.
What is the withdrawal period in food-producing animals? The withdrawal period is the time required after administration of the medicine before the animal can be slaughtered and the meat used for human consumption. It is also the time required after administration of the medicine before eggs can be used for human consumption.The withdrawal period for Panacur AquaSol for pig meat and offal is four days. The withdrawal period for chicken meat and offal is six days for the 1 mg fenbendazole/kg dose and nine days for the 2 mg fenbendazole/kg dose. The withdrawal period for eggs is zero days. I have eaten the eggs and they may kill me eventually but I'm an old lady so my time left is limited.
https://www.merck-animal-health-usa.com/product/safe-guard-aquasol

I agree. In a study done by Merck, this is the results. I thought it was interesting.
The margin of safety in laying hens was conducted in 144 laying hens. Safe-Guard® AquaSol was administered orally as medicated drinking water to three groups of 36 hens at 1, 3, and 5 times the recommended label dose (1, 3, and 5 mg fenbendazole/kg body weight/day) for 15 consecutive days (3 times the recommended duration). Another group of 36 hens was provided non-medicated drinking water and used as a control group. In all hens, feed and water intake, body weights, clinical health, mortality, egg production, and egg quality parameters (including egg shell thickness and strength, egg weight, and Haugh unit) were evaluated. Hematology and clinical chemistry parameters were evaluated in 12 hens from each group. At the end of the treatment phase, gross necropsies were performed on 12 hens from each group, and organs weights were evaluated. Histopathologic examinations were performed on 12 hens each from the control and 5 mg fenbendazole/kg body weight groups. No clinically significant effects related to the administration of Safe-Guard® AquaSol were observed for any of the parameters evaluated.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row. This dose and length of time will take care of most worms that poultry have, but not tapeworms.

If you give once, then repeat in 10 days - this treats roundworms only.

"Pea Size" is very old info - we now know the correct dose is by weight.
@Wyorp Rock I'm a little confused because in another thread someone mentions .023 ml/5# bird Maybe because it's mixed in a mash with goal of no withdrawal...? But that's a huge difference in dosage.
Can you clarify please?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/

@Wyorp Rock I'm a little confused because in another thread someone mentions .023 ml/5# bird Maybe because it's mixed in a mash with goal of no withdrawal...? But that's a huge difference in dosage.
Can you clarify please?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/safeguard-mash-zero-day-egg-withdrawal.1254653/
Yes. The "mash" recipe is for zero day withdrawal. If you will note in that thread the "approved dose" that allows you for zero day withdrawal is 1 mg/kg. This *should* treat roundworms and cecal worms.

In formulary/drug books, Fenbendazole has a fairly broad dosage range at 10-50mg/kg but you would want to observe a withdrawal period. This dosing should treat all worms except for tapeworms depending on the the number of days treatment is given.

Apples and Oranges.

Back
Top Bottom