Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal

I wouldn't know how to know what they have if anything without doing a fecal float.
I think I'll do the five day mash and watch their poo s to see if it changes.
Do I still have to re treat them ten days later?
I'm not sure if you have to do it again. I usually don't :oops:

I'm not sure if you have to do it again. I usually don't :oops:
So after reading that. Capillary worms come from earth worms I decided to give the full dose individually. .and just toss the eggs. Today was day 3 and boy howdy were they ticked off. One of my females has taken the role of protector and insisted on flogging me every time I picked one up! So. . do you think 3 days is enough or should I do 5? Thinking of doing the full dose but putting it in a mash for the last two days if you think I need to do the 5 days. they were really hard to deal with today. :he

What I do when I want to dose individually is go out just before they get up and grab them one at a time off the roost, dose, and toss that one outside. I usually do the rooster first, as he gets upset when I make the hens squawk. I'd do your problem hen first.

So after reading that. Capillary worms come from earth worms I decided to give the full dose individually. .and just toss the eggs. Today was day 3 and boy howdy were they ticked off. One of my females has taken the role of protector and insisted on flogging me every time I picked one up! So. . do you think 3 days is enough or should I do 5? Thinking of doing the full dose but putting it in a mash for the last two days if you think I need to do the 5 days. they were really hard to deal with today. :he
My books say five days and there have been a couple of posts from people that have said they were advised by their vets to give for five days, so I would give for five orally or in the mash.

Last edited:
What I do when I want to dose individually is go out just before they get up and grab them one at a time off the roost, dose, and toss that one outside. I usually do the rooster first, as he gets upset when I make the hens squawk. I'd do your problem hen first.
Mine are ducks lol. But yes it was evident after today I need to snag the little flogger first and put her outside the pen while I dose the others :hmm
I wish someone had been here to get it on camera :lau
It was quite hilarious to have a duck trying to flog me in defense of her friends :gigshe even goosed me once. But it did make it stressful for the others.

There has got to be an easier way for people with large flocks. I can't imagine people with tons of birds doing this every 6 months to a year. I'm guessing a lot of people must have to be doing the mash, or I wonder if there is something that can be mixed in feed to prevent worms? (And NOT D E) I have tons of earth worms where I live so this will probably be an on going issue for me forever. They pull up earth worms daily and even steal them from the robins :lau

Back
Top Bottom