Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Per a recent request, I am posting more Saipan photos. The video card on my computer has failed, so I am not sure what the colors are of the birds I am showing here. These are photos from 2012 and 2013. I expect to hatch a limited number in 2014, and have begun selling some of my current stock as I have way too many.

cause I just plain have too many.

Thanks , I am located in East Tn , got these girls from Ideal. Ordered 20 Pullets ,kept six even though maybe 3 are really nice with one bigger than the rest. I will be ordering 50 straight run next year to select a cock bird from and maybe another hen or two. I think hatcheries use pullet eggs and young birds ( as well as cheap feed). I will be waiting till these are at least 18 months before breeding.

I guess I kept the right ones !

Last edited:
Unfortunately for everyone, the true history and therefore breed purity will never truly be known. The Chomorro natives on the island of Saipan as well as government agents and historians have no records of these fowl originating there in the first place. I know for a fact that B.W. Saylor DID bring his fowl back from Saipan in 1945, as my uncle served with him as a guard at the POW camp until they were released in 1945. Also, Mr. Saylor wasn't the only person to catch and import them as at least two other serviceman (my uncle included) did the same. He brought back seven juveniles as a gift for my grandmother, and our family has kept a small flock of them ever since. They actually come in several color variations, from the famed "platinum" color so sought after in the 1980's to the darker reds and a mix of both in varying shades. DNA testing on our flock has shown a close relation to both Thai gamefowl and Shamo but with some genetic differences amongst the three. As far as "pure" Saipans, there technically is no such thing, as there is no history of them being selectively bred before their importation to the U.S. in 1945.

Forkman45 good to see you posting. I've lately been thinking of the good times I had on the Ultimate Fowl Forum when it was up and running. I miss those times and the forum. I hope all is well with you and yours.
P.S. Do you still have any whites?
Doing great. No Saipans anymore. Do have a couple hens with malay and saipan blood. Have several asils all from irds from Doc from the UFF. Have some Shamo eggs in the incuator now,good ones.

Back
Top Bottom