Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Pics
That is a great project! I'm so glad to hear the saipan roosters weren't mean. I have been a little nervous wondering how they'll be with my 3-yr-old (soon to be 4), considering they'll be nearly as tall as her once they're grown. Ours just turned 3-weeks old but are fun to watch and easy to tell which are girl/boy due to the feathering (the boys barely have any feathers yet). I think we have around 7 girls and 10 boys. We love roosters so I was hoping to keep them at least 6-9 months before eating them. Usually I just eat whichever roosters are causing the most trouble first (especially if any start to chase me) and it reduces the numbers before the hens get their backs too worn out. So far my most-aggressive cockerel ever (that really hurt me) was a 6-month-old lavender orpington. Maybe I was too friendly to him when he was younger, or maybe it was just extreme hormones he couldn't handle (very red comb and wattles, more than the others), not sure. We had an agressive polish rooster too once, but he was too small to hurt me and I felt sorry for him since the other chickens kicked him out of the coop every night and he had to sleep on top of the house.

That's awesome, thanks for the info! I will take photos of my little ones once it warms up a bit again. They're out on grass now but I think I'm putting them back in the brooder for a few more days to warm up.

This is a rooster from ideal i got last year at a local feed store. I had four but lost two to a cold snap and the hawks grabbed the largest. They are very tame and sweet, and while they dominate the other roosters are not overly game. One looked shamo like but the other two roos seemed to be very large upright birds so likely all crosses. Still cool birds!

I was on my phone so it was a bit hard to do more than post the pics!

Other things I noted about the siapans:

They seem VERY sensitive to the cold weather. I live in Austin and we had a cold snap into the high 20's for one night and I found a roo and hen dead the next day. I brought the remaining roo into the house during the coldest nights and had him in the insulated coop till the weather warmed.

Even through they get huge, it didnt seem to stop predators. My biggest rooster was not in the above pictures-he was about an inch taller and two inches wider than the roo in front. We have a family of zone hawks down the way and they like to visit my place for lunch, so they plucked up one day. Based on the feathers, he put up a good fight, but he didnt seem aggressive enough to escape.

When very small they were odd-a little slow to find the feeder and waterer, and they had to watch the other chicks to figure it out.
They were bigger than the other chicks but were not very pushy-unlike the dark brahmas from Cackle Hatchery which were very vigorous and bossy!
Their wing tips had a tiny claw at the end of the elbow-totally weird. As they have grown, they have band spots in certain places.
They look like little dinosaurs!
The hen only wanted to be broody outside of the coop. She would lay 1-2 eggs a week in the coop, but once free ranging, she kept trying to set up a nest and would lay everyday in the same place.
I fed them normal chicken feed and they seem fine.
The roosters were a bit slow to show an interest in breeding females relative to the faster maturing breeds.
They dont fly into the trees to roost and like to return to the coop at night.
My hen from Ideal was not the dark color seen in other pics, but the light wheaten color. Honestly she was a bit ugly where the boys are really the pretty ones.

I have a few chicks that just hatched that are saipan-dark brahma crosses, so ill post as they mature.

We are near Austin too! I have the saipans outside in a chicken tractor and they turned 1 month old today. They are super cute and I love the look of the feathers on the girls (boys still sparsely feathered). I have 3 naked necks and 3 laced cornish in there too and so far they're smaller than naked necks and a bit bigger looking than the cornish but could just be taller. The naked necks might be up to a week older though so I can't really compare. I'm mostly just curious to try this breed since i havent had them before. I tried white faced black spanish one year amd was glad I did. They were smart and fun to watch and i traded the hens to a show breeder friend that wanted them. I ordered 6 of those coming in may.

Back
Top Bottom