Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Pics
Aww, sorry to hear. Attacking you? We 're cooking an australorp today that decided to attack our 4 yr old the other day.

This is our first year trying saipan. I'm so glad we got them! They are the most friendly, curious, non-skittish birds we have. By 3 months (they were 2.5 months in the attached photos) they were around 3.5 lbs, should be nice for meat if I can stand to process any. 3 LF cornish we raised at the same time are mean and headed to the crock pot this weekend. I will just wait to process the male saipan based on individual temperament like we do with other breeds. I love these birds and highly recommend them! Slower growing the first 6 weeks or so but finally took off around 8+ weeks.

Attachments

• 20170426_125721_Film1.jpg
    20170426_125721_Film1.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 43
Nice product! Looks tasty! I will probably have to process some of the saipan roosters since I have 9 of them. I kept 7 pullets and sold 2. I didn't lose a single chick and just raised them the same as our other birds with no special attention (we do flock raiser crumbles with sometimes organic crumbles). I only go to their coop once a day to sit a few minutes but they all come and gather around me and some fly up on me wanting to be held or just curious to gather around and look at me. I love the sweet sounds they make too.

Unfortunately for everyone, the true history and therefore breed purity will never truly be known. The Chomorro natives on the island of Saipan as well as government agents and historians have no records of these fowl originating there in the first place. I know for a fact that B.W. Saylor DID bring his fowl back from Saipan in 1945, as my uncle served with him as a guard at the POW camp until they were released in 1945. Also, Mr. Saylor wasn't the only person to catch and import them as at least two other serviceman (my uncle included) did the same. He brought back seven juveniles as a gift for my grandmother, and our family has kept a small flock of them ever since. They actually come in several color variations, from the famed "platinum" color so sought after in the 1980's to the darker reds and a mix of both in varying shades. DNA testing on our flock has shown a close relation to both Thai gamefowl and Shamo but with some genetic differences amongst the three. As far as "pure" Saipans, there technically is no such thing, as there is no history of them being selectively bred before their importation to the U.S. in 1945.

Unfortunately for everyone, the true history and therefore breed purity will never truly be known. The Chomorro natives on the island of Saipan as well as government agents and historians have no records of these fowl originating there in the first place. I know for a fact that B.W. Saylor DID bring his fowl back from Saipan in 1945, as my uncle served with him as a guard at the POW camp until they were released in 1945. Also, Mr. Saylor wasn't the only person to catch and import them as at least two other serviceman (my uncle included) did the same. He brought back seven juveniles as a gift for my grandmother, and our family has kept a small flock of them ever since. They actually come in several color variations, from the famed "platinum" color so sought after in the 1980's to the darker reds and a mix of both in varying shades. DNA testing on our flock has shown a close relation to both Thai gamefowl and Shamo but with some genetic differences amongst the three. As far as "pure" Saipans, there technically is no such thing, as there is no history of them being selectively bred before their importation to the U.S. in 1945.
Do you have any updated pictures of your Saipans?

Back
Top Bottom