Saipan Jungle Fowl Thread

Pics
I have some hatchery stock dark Cornish that are anything BUT Dark Cornish.lol
They are a start. I will eventually get SOP birds,but for now I'm happy to EXPERIMENT

Last edited:
Why keep Saipans after all? Everything I have been told about them looks to be quite difficult. You can't even feed them chicken food!

Why keep Saipans after all? Everything I have been told about them looks to be quite difficult. You can't even feed them chicken food!
If you had a child with food allergies would you get rid of the kid? They do have different nutritional requirements,they can suffer from crop impaction . They do better on a diet with animal proteins and fat with lots of vegetables.
Originally these birds were in a very specific habitat that caused their diet to become specialized. The majority of birds available NOW have been crossed so many times that most can survive on a high fat ,and protein chick crumble.
Mine are fed high protein Purina game crumble.I also feed them lots of mixed vegetables and fresh fish on occasion and have not had any problems

Last edited:
Nice, these look like the ones I got ages ago. I no longer have any. These are by far my favorite of all he chickens. They are smart and tame down too. My rooster was so tame he would sit in my hand. He was the only one I had so there was never any fighting. If my life allows I will get these guys again.

Back
Top Bottom