Saipan JungleFowl from Cackle.

They may thrive in heat but a vehicle in 100 degree wether will get up to 120 degrees in less than half an hour and easily up to 160 degrees or more over a period of time n direct light. They don't thrive in 120+ degree wether with no airflow on any kind..
But many of the postal service vehicles are now air conditioned..over 35% with 100% in the next few years.the pr iority has been to get the deep soyuh trucks air conditioned first, as the workers are at higher risk in the high heat and high humidity. So it is distinctly possible they got to cold.my early june order ( out of 16 1 death but was due to piling from what it looked like an exchequer leghorn- with jersey giants,marans,eggers ,cochins and a fiesty fayoumi) anyway, we were in the middle of 115 heat index with 85-97 temps..when i picked them up at the post office at 630 am they were chilled...i put them under heat for a 24 hours then outside..i thought i lost 2 to heat but it turns out that one of my hens was able to fit through a tiny hole to get to her fave nesting area and she killed the 2) anyway, my point the chicks had been in that cold building for over 8 hours..i think had they been bantams or delicate breeds i would have lost more..

Here's the Saipans.
First day outside.
Picture includes 1 Malay chick, 1 project Chameleon chick, 1 Mille Fleur D'uccle/OEGB/Silkie X CrackerFowl chick, & a Red JungleFowl/Sebright cross chick amongst the group.
20230811_115411.jpg
20230811_115436.jpg
20230811_115545.jpg

Just alittle update. I am reducing the Saipans numbers alittle bit. I rehomed one pullet yesterday, with a mixed breed buddy to a good friend.

Next is culling the extra cockerel. So that will bring my number down to 4. It'll be 1 cockerel, & 3 pullets.

Back
Top Bottom