#3.
20230629_090809.jpg
#4.
20230629_090950.jpg
#5.
20230629_091141.jpg
#6.
20230629_091338.jpg

It's been 100 plus degrees where they were shipped from in missouri. Much too hot. The postal workers take no precautions to ensure chicks don't get overheated so things like this happen when you order in the hottest parts of the year. This is not a just cackle hatchery issue it's an issue that all hatcheries deal with in this heat

It's been 100 plus degrees where they were shipped from in missouri. Much too hot. The postal workers take no precautions to ensure chicks don't get overheated so things like this happen when you order in the hottest parts of the year. This is not a just cackle hatchery issue it's an issue that all hatcheries deal with in this heat
Humans are disgusting to turn dead babies into an industry

Chicks came in first thing this morning. I rushed down to go get them. I bought 10. They sent 11. 9 were dead. Unacceptable.
You've mentioned before that these chicks have a high fatality rate during shipping, and I've seen that myself in the cackle reviews. Why bring in weak genetics to one's flock? Is the hope that they're only weak from inbreeding and their own mixed babies will be healthy?

I've noticed myself that my hybrid AGF/RJF are the hardiest birds on my farm

This is really bad. I'm so sorry. Will you be asking for a refund or a shipment of replacement chicks? Although I guess that might cause even more chicks to meet the same fate. How are the ones that are alive doing?
I’m going to seek a refund.

The 2 survivors are under heat, but won’t know their state until I get home.

This is the time of year Cackle choose to hatch them. I ordered them months ago. But an incubator is 100F easily. I think they got too cold, not too hot. The vent holes in their shipping box are way too large to retain heat inside.

Humans are disgusting to turn dead babies into an industry

You've mentioned before that these chicks have a high fatality rate during shipping, and I've seen that myself in the cackle reviews. Why bring in weak genetics to one's flock? Is the hope that they're only weak from inbreeding and their own mixed babies will be healthy?

I've noticed myself that my hybrid AGF/RJF are the hardiest birds on my farm

Yes, I suspect they’re highly inbred and that when crossed to similar but fresh oriental genetics, the offspring will have hybrid vigor. The fragility I had heard about had more to do with brooding, that if not exposed to the outside early, they quickly succumb when outside for the first time, and that they don’t handle cool weather well.

It's hard to imagine that they got too cold as the lows have been around 77 at night in the area and they had each other for warmth but anything is possible. I was guessing they sat in the back of a truck during transit with no ventilation then had to wait to get unloaded for several hours resulting in them getting cooked

Back
Top Bottom