Salmon favorelles...think I have a roo!

4kids*2dogs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
Maine
I have two 6 week old Salmon Favorelles from Mypetchicken.com. They are supposed to Salmon Favorelle pullets but one has a black chest with brown wings and some white tips on the wings. Is it DEFINITELY a roo? Or could it possibly be a dark hen? I am so nervous that it may be a roo. How is the temperament of SF Roos? I will attempt to post a photo.

PICS in a subsequent post!

Last edited:
Is there a reason that I cannot post a picture? Image upload is grayed out for me. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Try uploading the image first then copy the URL in "My Uploads". You then paste the URL and we get to see a pic!!
big_smile.png

Here are the pics of my Salmon Favorelle chick...6 weeks old. Seems too dark to be a pullet!!! I have read that some hatcheries chicks can turn out darker but maybe some of you experts could tell if this is a roo.

79980_spring_2011_004.jpg

79980_spring_2011_032.jpg

Last edited:
Is it the coloring or the comb that make you so sure?

What's funny is that he was the "runt" of thhe group with lots of pasty butt and crying. I babied him to life! Hmmm...

I will have to get used to the idea and see how he turns out. Photos online look like they are beautiful roosters and he would be the only male. Maybe that will be a good thing. Anyone know much about the boys in this breed?

Last edited:
It's the coloring. I also have a 'sexed' favorelle that's coming in dark, as is the other one he shipped with (that went to another household). Maybe all the sexers were asleep at the switch.
tongue.png

51848_p1010698.jpg

I did see someone here with a dark pullet the other day, so still holding out a bit of hope, but I think it's time to hand out those blue cigars.
tongue.png
Girl favorelles should come in light brown.

Last edited:
Quote:
Did you get yours from mpc? My other one ...6 weeks...is darker too (the one in the back) just not black like this one.

Last edited:
4kids*2dogs :

Quote:
Did you get yours from mpc? My other one ...6 weeks...is darker too, just not black like this one.

Mine was from mcmurray. Odd thing is that they sent two sexed favorelles and it appears both look alike. Ah well. I wasn't the original purchaser, so not much I can say to the hatchery.
smile.png
Hatchery birds can be off in color, but not sure they would be THIS off. Mine doesn't have a pink comb yet, but he's only three weeks old.​

Back
Top Bottom