Salmonella outbreak 2018

Bonniebooboo

Crowing
7 Years
May 27, 2017
Kansas
according to CDC in 2017 there were 1,120 cases of salmonella in 48 states with one reported death. So far in 2018 from February 15 to June 21 there have been 212 reported cases in 44 states, no deaths. Report says Backyard chickens are spreading salmonella.

Can be spread through handling of poultry equipment as well as poultry themselves, cuddling, kissing etc. Was hands thoroughly when handling poultry and/ or their equipment.

I know there are folks that give or sell unwashed eggs but isn't that a good way to spread salmonella? it appears that with the growth of having backyard chickens, so are the cases of salmonella. Maybe we should be more proactive in informing newbies to chicks/chickens/ducks etc. of the possibility of catching /preventing this. I know some of us already are.
Edited to say 212 cases so far as of July 13, not 13,212. My apologies on not putting the correct number from the paper. :(

Last edited:
Holy crap that's a lot.
I have always washed eggs, no exceptions.
My chicken-chore shoes are always left in the closet by the door, away from inside pets and walkways.

I'll admit I'm cuddly with the chickens, but I don't lick myself or prepare food in the same clothing without a shower or in the least, clean up with a soapy washrag.

When I was raising chicks in the bathroom, everything was lysoled once a week.

So far in six years, my family has been salmonella free :yesss:

I've had salmonella poisoning. Twice. Both times from eating under-cooked chicken from a restaurant - once sweet and sour chicken, the other time fried. Both times, due to the method of preparation, I couldn't tell it wasn't fully cooked until it was too late...

Personally, I'm far more likely to get it from handling my snakes than from my chickens. Perhaps as much as the increase in chicken keeping, the increase in reptile keeping can be attributed to the high levels of poisoning - reptiles are just as much a carrier as chickens, but a lot of people are aware of the risk with birds. I've been shocked by how few of the reptile keepers I speak with know that they can get it from their snake or lizard.

You really want to see a salmonella carrier? Turtles.

Last edited:
according to CDC in 2017 there were 1,120 cases of salmonella in 48 states with one reported death. So far in 2018 from February 15 to June 21 there have been 13,212 reported cases in 44 states, no deaths. Report says Backyard chickens are spreading salmonella.
Lobbyists from special interests throw money at law makers and other Government agencies to release false documents and spread lies. It takes money to make money. They have millions of $ invested in the companies and we only have a bag of feed to pay for here and there. The egg industry is hurting because so many Americans have an egg factory in their backyard.
Also eggs sold a Walmart and other big chains are sold BELOW COST, to get you shopping in their stores for higher value items.
Lobbyists don't care about the truth. They care about their paychecks.
This video is from the industry that has it in their interests to spread lies to SCARE citizens not to raise their own eggs and continue to be dependent on big business to feed you.

Wow did you see how pale their combs and waddles are ? I one trying to get a good drink makes me sad , trying to hard to get a little water

Very interesting process though, must be hybrids if they’re culling at 18 months !

Last edited:
I think attributing it solely to the increase in backyard chicken keeping requires a little more evidence. Do you have a link to the report? Citations? If we're talking about government agencies and scientific conclusions you need to provide links for people to actually look at rather than baseless speculation. Even government agencies have their own agendas. If it's a conclusive claim, then there should be evidence to support that.

There's also the consideration of what the risk/reward factors are. A good example of this is motorcycles. Motorcycles have several benefits that are fairly easy to dismiss when you look at the huge accident rate of a motorcycle compared to a car. Yet riding a motorcycle is a relatively common practice and many advocate that it is enjoyable and healthy. Most people know someone who rides, even if they don't know them well.

The benefits of back yard chickens could outweigh the risks for many people of salmonella. Salmonella is often not even a hospitalizing offence in otherwise healthy people but becomes a fatal risk for, say, elderly, infants or immune compromised patients like cancer or HIV/AIDS patients. In those cases keeping chickens could be very dangerous, but for the average healthy adult could be harmless and provide several benefits such as reducing waste and pollution.

Additionally, the USA has ACTIVELY chosen not to regulate salmonella in chickens.
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/25/business/25vaccine.html
Every producer of eggs, or person who hatches chicks, could vaccinate against it and reduce salmonella in the USA to nearly nothing without having to wash a single egg, but they actively choose not to create this regulation.

So... There's that. :p

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/artic...nes-for-the-control-of-salmonella-in-poultry/

I know there are folks that give or sell unwashed eggs but isn't that a good way to spread salmonella? it appears that with the growth of having backyard chickens, so are the cases of salmonella.

• It's Summer, COLLECT EGGS EVERY SINGLE DAY.
  • KEEP NESTING BOXES FRESH.
  • Refrigeration is a must.
  • NEVER EAT RAW CHICKEN OR RAW EGGS.
  • Cook your chicken to 180*F
  • Reheat to 160*F
  • Throw cooked chicken out if it has been at room temp for 2 or more hours.
01111_dzCIZTNZfet_600x450 copy.jpg

Kiki, that's just a list of recalls, unfortunately, not hospital reports which are going to be much more diverse.
Like, getting salmonella from your pet turtle isn't going to show up from an FDA recall list. But if there's a huge influx in pet turtle keeping leading to an equally large influx in salmonella cases, that's going to be reported through hospitals and not FDA food recalls.
But yes, I would hazard that eggs are still generally safe.

Back
Top Bottom