Salmonella Warning....it's no pick nick

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
I just wanted everyone to be aware of a current situation. I have been away for a little while because I have been in the hospital with Salmonella poisoning. However, it was found in my blood rather than my digestive track. It caused Pneumonia with permanent Neoplasms and damage to my lungs. The local Health Department informed me that there have been two other reported cases of my strain of Salmonella Montevideo in the area. They said it was from baby chicks and ducks bought in our local farm store. I'm not trying to scare anyone, however I did want everyone to be aware. Our chickens are currently on ATB therapy and then we will have to wait for another 5-7 days before they are cleared. Of course we are not eating any of the eggs that they started laying. Such a sad case that I couldn't even rejoice in my babies finally laying some eggs.

As it stands right now, I have a doctor's appt. tomorrow and I will find out when I have to have more blood drawn. 10-14 days post ATB therapy will determine if I still have it in my system. If I do then I will have to have my Gallbladder removed since this is a harboring place for the bacteria. I just wanted to educate everyone.

I will try to get some new pictures of the babies as they have grown tremendously this last month. Please make sure that everyone has coop shoes that are only for the coop and plenty of hand sanitizer. Best wishes to all!
fl.gif

i am so sorry you have been sick!
i have been through gall bladder surgery about nine years ago. i will pray you will be healed quickly! keep us updated on your health. God Bless

Thanks everyone. I really just wanted to post to remind everyone that things can happen even in the best environment and intentions. As a nurse I am extreme when it comes to germs and now my kids are saying I'm going to become like "Monk" on that t.v. show. It can happen to anyone. Sometimes I think we forget when we see those cute little faces along with their innocense and little chirps. I'm sooooo guilty of that. I just thought a slight dose of reality might be needed every so often.

Very sorry to hear about this. I hope your recovery is swift and complete.
hugs.gif

Do you know how you got it in your bloodstream?

Please keep us all posted on your progress and please pass along any information or
links you may have about this particular infection.

I'm also curious as to the source. Did you already have birds when you purchased
the contaminated ones or did they all come from one source? What was the mortality
rate of your existing flock and/or new birds?

Best Wishes.

The doctors are absolutely stumped as to how it got in my blood stream. The chickens in question were my original ones that I bought. Therefore we are treating all 39 birds. I am keeping the eggs for the health department so that the CDC can examine them if need be. I still need to send in a water sample from our well to Springfield so they can check our water source to either diagnose or rule it out. To this day, I have only exhibited one single symptom of the traditional "Salmonella".

This all started out back in late April to early May. I started feeling congested and pressure was building around my sinuses. I assumed I had a sinus infection since I am prone to them. The fever's were getting progressivly worse. By the time I went to the E.R in mid May, my fever's were around 104. Of course since medical personel make the worst patients I tried to self diagnose myself and went to clear liquids since I was having some nausea. They ran labs to include CBC, blood gases and Chem 7. Chest xray's, Mono culture, Strep, UA and a contrast dye CT scan was done. They said that my lymph nodes around my intestines were enlarged and suggested I seek out a surgeon to do a byopsy.

Went to see my doctor the next day and he said I had an ear infection and a sinus infection. He said the reason my white blood count was not elevated was due to my profession and high immunity. Two doses of ATB therapy and some Zyrtec and I thought I was done with it all.

Two weeks later the nurse calls and says I have Salmonella in my blood stream. I am now Septic. The fevers are still continuing and by the end of June my 16 year old son informs me he is taking me back to the hospital. Another chest xray determines that I have Pneumonia and they are going to admit me to the hospital. During my stay I find out that I also have a blood clot moving up towards my lungs and neoplasms and metastasis cannot be ruled out. My heart rate elevated to around 145 beats per minute while on the Duoneb breathing tx. and my blood sugars go out of control to almost 400 since they put me on Solu Medrol. A cardiologist is called and an Echocardiogram is done since Salmonella can also affect the left ventrical. The bladder wall can also be a harboring place along with the gallbladder for this bacteria.

So now I'm on Levaquin IV ATB therapy when I find out I'm allergic to it. Rocephin IV 2 grams daily were given. The Solu Medrol and Duoneb tx.'s were discontinued. I was pushing myself and walking around the hospital daily. After day 6, they put in a Pic line and allowed me to go home with Home Health Care. My IV medications were delivered the night I got discharged. Yesterday, I was discharged from home health and my Pic line was pulled. I hope some of this information will help someone along the way. I know this was long winded, but my symptoms were mimicking a lot of other things. That's why I wanted to put my case out to you guys so we can all be educated.

Last edited:
As far as I know the CDC was going to notify. I will not name this hatchery for I do not know with certainty and I will not put myself in a position for a lawsuit. I informed the local health department of the farm store and I also knew which hatchery they used. That information was passed along. I guess it's up the higher ups on what they want or choose to do about it.

So sorry to hear about your sickness and hope you are well on your way to great health.

Definitely good to have a reality check once in a while. We do have a tendency to become lax and complacent in our habits.

What should people with new chickens do in order to protect themselves from getting salmonella or passing it to others? I'd hate to think that any member could be giving away / selling eggs or meat from birds with salmonella and have it spread to friends & family.

Back
Top Bottom