Salmonella

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickadee55, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    I want to raise chickens for eggs. My question is how do I prevent salmonella? I've heard that it gets inside the shell as well as the outside.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Keep your chickens in tidy living conditions with clean feed and water. This is the easiest way to prevent salmonella. I wouldn't worry too much about salmonella in your backyard flock. It is not very common.

Good luck.

3. Chickadee55

Chickadee55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Central Florida
    Do you clean your eggs in a certain solution?

4. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    With the recent salmonella crisis, I can see why you would ask about it. However, most commercial egg companies (though they may say free range) are actually kept in cramped and untidy living quarters.

If you own chickens and give them room to roam and keep their living conditions clean, you should be fine [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    MotherEarthNews magazine has had several excellent articles on eggs and salmonella. Here's the latest one:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/happy-homesteader/salmonella-outbreak-zb0z10zrog.aspx

The article before this one, sorry I couldn't find it with a quick search, actually showed that you are less likely to get salmonella from a healthy backyard flock than you are from a commercial egg farm.

ETA: Here's the other article (it was in backyardpoultry magazine, not MEN):

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-5/backyard_chicken_eggs_are_safe.html

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by