Salted duck eggs??

I am not a fan of salt do these eggs have a real heavy salt taste. I like a little salty taste but not over whelming?
Here is the promised update:
I made myself a salted duck-egg "sammich" for breakfast: Two slices of nine grain bread, toasted, one hard boiled salted duck-egg sliced and placed on one toast, some cheese on top of the egg, a slice of ham on top of the cheese and the second toast as a finishing touch. 30 seconds microwave to melt the cheese and glue everything together and YUMMY!
The salted eggs white's were really salty before watering them for two days, now they are just right. And the yolks still have that nutty, rich flavor. I liked the even distribution of the saltiness in that sammich. If you sprinkle some salt manually, you may miss a spot and have overdone another one, but no need to sprinkle any salt here.
Salted duck-eggs will be a staple in this house-hold from now on! - The recipe again:
800 milliliter of water and 280 grams of ordinary table salt, boiled, cooled back to room-temperature and poured into a pickle jar. 13 washed, uncooked duck-eggs carefully placed into the jar with the help of the kitchen tongs, so that the jar is full to the brim, no air, all the eggs are covered. Let the jar sit for at least two weeks in a cold place at ~15°C (60F). Then remove the eggs and wash them, clean out the pickle glass and fill it with fresh water. Let the eggs desalinate for 2-3 days. Medium hard boiled they are just delicious.
I will try to add some flavours to the brine in the future, like fresh garlic, cumin or a hot pepper. What do you think about that @FutureMillionaire ?

Hi Duck Farmer1. You can give it a try! I used to sell my duck eggs for $6 a dozen to neighbors and a restaurant last year. I'm in the city and duck eggs are a novelty to the yuppies! But they moved away and the restaurant stopped their orders. Now I sell them to a feed store for $3.50 a dozen. Better than them going to waste. I actually got a license to sell eggs from the State. Not a big deal and pretty cheap ($15 a year). Check your Agriculture Dept.

I've started pickling some of mine like the kind you get in taverns, and gave those to neighbors this holiday season. They're pretty yummy.

A friend of mine told me about those salted eggs, which look great, but haven't tried making them yet. Here's a link the friend gave me which shows how it's done. Let me know if it works!

I sell duck’s for $6, $4 for chicken’s. I saw an exotic meat site selling duck eggs foe $24, so go figure.

I sell duck’s for $6, $4 for chicken’s. I saw an exotic meat site selling duck eggs foe $24, so go figure.
It all depends on where you are located: Here in rural WV most people have their BYC flock, so they won't buy any (duck-)eggs. In more urban areas duck-eggs may sell good as a novelty or for people who are allergic against chicken-eggs. And in areas with a large asian population these people are willing to buy and to pay more for duck-eggs, because those are more common in their home-countries and they are used to their taste. And there's a market for balut and salted-eggs too.
Friends tell me, i could sell my duck's eggs for over $20 a dozen in D.C. - but that's a five hour drive, crossing two state lines, thus requiring a rain-forest full of paperwork…

How about diced cucumbers with a squeeze of lemon? They also work as well.
No Tomatoes, no cucumbers (and those grow to freakish size with duck fertilizer!), no peppers, grapes, currants, gooseberries,... everything with a tough outer skin. - I will either have to sleep upright in my recliner or chew chalk all night long. 😢
But salted duck-eggs with ham is purrfect!

Back
Top Bottom