Salted duck eggs??

Hi Duckfarmer1,
I too have been looking into producing duck products as retirement is around the corner and ducks have been my favorite birds.

I had to double check, but Metzer farms has an article in their blog about how they make salted eggs. The rest of his blog has lots of info on waterfowl as well.
Good luck
Excellent! If I have good luck.. I’ll let everyone know. I’ve just waisted an hour trying to make a flyer on the computer. I did it a few months ago..but I’m rusty...ugh..this was one of my college degrees!! Worthless now!!

Thanks for the chuckle! In all seriousness, there's some keyboard quirk (the letters are right next to each other, I guess) that it makes it way too easy to type that instead of duck. lol
And there is that damn autocorrect on mobile devices that has a dirty mind of its own: Whenever i try to type in »Duck« it changes the first letter… ;)
Duck you autocorrect! :lau

Nope no sun, Just indoors in the kitchen counter.

I don't advise using chicken eggs, their whites tastes like plastic when fermented. Only use duck and quail eggs for making salted eggs.

This is the brine method. Inside a container pour brine (I don't do measurements but at least 2 cups of salt ) on the eggs and cover it with a lid. Leave it for 3 weeks to 3 months. It is up to you.
salted-eggs-2a.jpg

as you see the eggs float so to stop them from floating put some weights like a porcelain saucer to make them sink to the bottom.

---------
This is the traditional mud method:
100_0202.jpg

Just add some soil in the brine.
---------
After you are over fermenting them you either have to hard boil the eggs before eating. People use the raw one for making sauces though.

Filipino vendors dye the shells with red food color so they wont confuse them to fresh eggs.

images

----

Filipinos uses the eggs as an ingredient for a Christmas cake known as bibingka
Bibingka.jpg

and this 2 ingredient salad with no name:
maxresdefault.jpg

Just sliced tomatoes and fresh hard boiled salted eggs. You can use it as a cheese replacement for any salad recipe.

It also works well with onions and fiddlehead fern.
ensaladang-pako.jpg

In Singapore they use raw salted eggs to make Salted egg shrimp.

singaporeshrimps2a-1.jpg

In China they use salted egg as ingredient for mooncake desserts.
bannermoon.jpg

It makes great toppings for rice or oatmeal porridge.

chicken-porridge-with.jpg

Hi Duck Farmer1. You can give it a try! I used to sell my duck eggs for $6 a dozen to neighbors and a restaurant last year. I'm in the city and duck eggs are a novelty to the yuppies! But they moved away and the restaurant stopped their orders. Now I sell them to a feed store for $3.50 a dozen. Better than them going to waste. I actually got a license to sell eggs from the State. Not a big deal and pretty cheap ($15 a year). Check your Agriculture Dept.

I've started pickling some of mine like the kind you get in taverns, and gave those to neighbors this holiday season. They're pretty yummy.

A friend of mine told me about those salted eggs, which look great, but haven't tried making them yet. Here's a link the friend gave me which shows how it's done. Let me know if it works!

Around here people will pay $5-$10 a dozen for duck eggs since they are a treat for baking but every area is different. I have never had a salted duck egg but I have friends/family/neighbors lined up with empty egg cartons weekly for more eggs. I think they are so wonderful I feel like a snob when I have to eat a chicken egg now.
Same pricing in my area too. I've never heard of salted eggs so idk. Sounds like it might be interteresting.

Back
Top Bottom