same ole question , boys or girls?

susan78667

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 4, 2012
These are my first chickens. I get two eggs a day and wanted to know if anyone knows if the other two are roos
I think these two are roos

Hard to tell but I think the left one is probably a hen or an early rooster, maybe a picture of the whole body would help

I think the second one with the full erect comb is for sure a rooster. The floppy one im not sure about. They are 18-20 weeks old. My other two are laying eggs already

At 18-20 weeks I think they're both hens. I don't see any hackle feathers, and I'd expect larger combs. The first bird is a mix, so you can't always go by color like you can with a pure barred bird. I agree, profile shots would help determine gender for sure.

@donrae... but they are not laying eggs. And what is "hackle feathers"?
When you look at a grown rooster, at the base of the neck are long, pointy flowing feathers that hens don't have. Sometimes they're a different color than the body of the rooster. Those are hackle feathers, only roosters have them. I'd expect a rooster of this age to have them.
18-20 weeks is still at he early end of the spectrum to be laying. From the looks of the combs, they're not far from laying, I'd say in the next few weeks. If you free range, you might consider confining them for a while, or going on an intensive egg hunt where they range.

Back
Top Bottom