Same RIR chick, new problem

MTchick

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
Western Montana
I got my flock of chicks on liquid Corid in the water once it was clear that my 7 day old RIR was suffering from a bad coccidiosis case. She seemed better for a few days, and the other chicks never seem to have gotten similar cases, so I was pretty encouraged by that.

Now, that same chick has chronic constipation and it is very difficult to watch her. She strains so hard to pass poo that her vent gets at least a 1/2 inch distended with the effort. She makes little grunting noises and generally looks all in the world like a commercial for Exlax! She eventually passes her poo- I've seen her do this three times in the last 24 hours- but her vent is getting swollen and I figure this cannot be good for her. I've tried soaking her little butt in warm water for some relief, which she hates, but at least it is keeping her clean.

She is eating and drinking fairly normally, and her crop is full right now. The other chicks don't seem to bother her when she is straining, nor do they pick at her vent.

Is there anything I can add to the feed (preferably that all the chicks can eat) that will help her have better bowel movements? I fear she'll give herself a hernia or some sort of infection from possible tears in the strained area. Not to mention she must be so uncomfortable!

Thanks

-MTchick

other peoples may have ideas but im thinking a lil mineral oil in a syringe and you can give them all yogurt- or maybe trying just water for the day - I would try all the things that we try on human babies but someone else may know for sure

Thanks for the advice. I tried the molasses and she did have some decent (if runny) results from that. Her constipation seems to be getting a bit better today, and her vent is somewhat less swollen and reddish. I hope this is the last of her digestive issues! The other chicks are all blissfully unaffected, which I take as a big bonus and a sign that the treatment (Corid) for the coccidiosis was the right one and is effective.

For whatever reason, my chicks refuse to eat yogurt- plain or vanilla flavored. I tried that and they turned up their beaks at it.
roll.png

-MTchick

Back
Top Bottom