San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by tigerrrrrrrlilly, Aug 11, 2010.

1. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:Can't you sneak the little chick under the good mama at night? I've never done that but I don't think she'd notice if she had 17 or 18, I certainly wouldn't if it were me!! LOL

I probably would have tried if they were closer in age. I seem to think that the 17 chicks can be on their own but their mom is right there. The other day I was changing the bedding and 4 or 5 of the chicks were on her back. The bad mom would not even let the lone chick on her back, she kept running away.

Nancy

2. dfdesigns

dfdesigns Indigo Ridge Farm

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    17 CHICKS? That's a super broody! I can't even imagine. Pictures?

Oh, happy day... I found out who was laying egg #5:

[​IMG]

It is without-a-doubt the Cuckoo Marans I got from Laurel. I didn't think she was ready, but I watched her go in, hop in the (empty) second nest box and produce that lovely deep brown egg. (It looks darker in person.) Now I can still expect a nice dark egg from the FBC Marans!

[​IMG]

I still don't know who's laying egg #3, but now I'm leaning more towards my homegrown EE. I was looking at my Am girls, and they are just not very red in the face/comb yet... (but then neither is the Cuckoo Marans, really).

Aren't chickens fun? [​IMG]

3. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    dfdesigns It is a mystery but I bet that you will solve it, Pretty pretty eggs though !

4. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Hi Renee and KKH, How did the SFH hatch go??

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:Renee PM'd me this morning. She candled 5 eggs and all were viable. [​IMG]
    They're due to hatch on the 25th.

6. Phage

Phage Mad Scientist

Aug 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    That is fabulous!!!!

7. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:Chickens are a blast! How old is your cuckoo marans?

8. craftychicken

craftychicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    dfdesigns - do you have any pictures? chickies going for a ride on mama's back sounds so cute.

on a side note - did anyone see storage wars last night? One guy found some vintage peepers - he called them "rose-colored glasses" for chickens. I'm such a nerd - I get so excited when I see chickens on TV. [​IMG]

9. dfdesigns

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Those pictures will need to come from Nancy... I only wish I had that level of cuteness here!

Being fairly new to the whole chicken thing, I am AMAZED at molting. I have three in active molt/moult right now, and it looks like a dozen chickens exploded in the pen.

10. dfdesigns

Sep 20, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Quote:I forgot to answer this... and the answer is: I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

I got her as an older (but not yet laying) pullet, and I never wrote down (or even asked about) her hatch date. I usually keep meticulous records previously, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by