San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

So Do Raccoons. They grab what they can reach and pull it through the wire.

It was a full moon last night too. FWIW the Coyotes here in Santee were Singing a huge song. The pups are learning to hunt.

deb

I figured they must have pups, They just run through and catch any straggler they can get. Usually it's a duck.

Quote:
I have to keep my deep water tubs Full to the brim or risk drowning all sorts of critters..... Squirrels, Rabbits, mice and the occasional Crow. Water to the brim they can get ahold of the edge to get out. Stopped the drowning issue. The only way to do that is put on a tank float valve. Another way is to stack some cinder blocks inside near an edge....

Cant do that with my horse because she messes with em. LOL.

deb

I am thinking it was something pulling her head through the bars.

Also, since she was decapitated anyway, I decided to skin her and see what sort of meat she had. Surprisingly large (long) breasts for a tiny chicken, and tiny drummets for legs. Still - I think I could raise a bunch of them and everyone gets a bird at dinner?

Urg.  I have missed so much!!!

What do you guys use for worms?  I just found tapeworms in one chickens droppings, I don't know which one, but obviously i'll treat them all.  The info here is so scattered I don't know what to use and the withdrawal period.  Everyone is stating different info.  It seems valzben is recommended, but does anyone local carry it?  Hawethornes doesn't.

Also, my bourbon red turkey died suddenly last week.  She was fine at night tuck in and in a ball dead on the floor by morning.  I did notice she had diarrhea a couple days before it happened, but didn't think to check it for worms...she had pooped in the water bucket.  Could tapeworms kill her or something else??  I did clean out the coop and poop boards after that, but didn't do a full scale disinfect.
Hi. Sorry you're dealing with tapeworms. They're terrible to deal with. I got Valbazen from http://jefferslivestock.com/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer/camid/LIV/cp/16387/. It's pricey, but the bottle will last you for several years.

Here's information I got from dawg53, resident worm expert here on BYC:

"Tapeworms are tough to get rid of, been there. Wait about 8 days after your last dosing of valbazen and do the following: Seperate your smaller hen in a cage or crate, she will continue to shed segments, each segment carries hundreds of eggs. Clean out the cage as necessary. The next time you worm her, withhold her feed the day before for 24 hours. Just provide her water during that 24 hour period. Then after 24 hours, dose her again with the valbazen. Then give her a bit of feed to eat, not too much. She will be hungry and if you give her too much there's a possibility of crop impactation...so gradually feed her a little bit at a time. If this fails to clear her of the tapes at 10 days after dosing with the valbazen, purchase Zimectrin Gold equine wormer, it's a paste. Dosage is a pea size amount given orally. You can put it on a small piece of bread and let her eat it. Z-Gold contains praziquantel which kills tapeworms. Also known as droncit/drontal for tapes in dogs and cats."

Dosage for Valbazen is 1/2cc for standard size chickens and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. It is given orally. Dosage for z-Gold is a pea size, also given orally.

I just did this, hope I got the bugger this time.

Yes, a turkey can die from having too many worms. I deworm my birds annually because of a story my friend and used to be neighbor told me. Her favorite hen died in front of her, and as she reached down to pick her up worms began crawling out of every hole in her body..ears, eyes, nose, vent..you name it. It horrified her, and me too! I've never forgotten that.

Sorry I have been so absent lately. I have been running around like a lunatic getting ready to retire. I finally pulled the plug last week and am no longer among the employed. So far retirement has been busy. I am already wondering how I ever had time to work.

With any luck, I should have lots more time for chickens this summer. So I am sharpening my pencil for all that upcoming chicken math.

Congrats on your retirement!! :)

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well and hope to see you all at the next meet-up, it's been too long!!!

Wanted to let ya'll know that I have three 10 month old East Egger hens available for $20 each, and lots of purebred White Ameraucana chicks available, they are about 4 weeks old and straight run, $10 each, but if you get a cockerel and can't keep him I'll take him back here at the ranch.

PM me if interested, thanks!

ya but the funny part is the dog that ate part of them is named 'fausto' well I guess not funny really, my friend was bummed out. But she has a great sense of humor so she saw the humor in it also.
hence the "faustian" deal.
hmm.png
but I've had mine comit suicide in the goat water trough so I'm trying to avoid keeping chickens in there. the ducks have faired better with the goats!
Ugh...reminds me of when I was reading an article about pets committing suicide after going through plastic surgery.

The ducks are probably thinking that they can muck around as they please~

Also, we're starting to have coyotes in my area as well. Though they don't worry as much as the cats do. Apparently, the city won't remove the cats since they are 'free' and are protected by some law or something. What a pain!

Last edited:
I have bantam chicks coming out of my ears here lol, just am a hatchaholic. Special price for byc friends pm if interested sizzles and cochins mostly but hAVE A BATOR FULL OF SILKIES COMING sorry caps lock.
I started a new job so I need to downsize a bit.

here are the white fluffy butts,(not for sale) also have a couple of the buff bantam cochin pullets and an easter egger pullet who just started laying cream colored eggs, for those who want older girls

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I've been MIA for a while since I stopped working. Who would have thought NOT having a job would leave me busier than having one?

I'm going up to Northern Ca to see my grandson for his 1st birthday and will be stopping off at METZERFARMS.COM to pick up some babies. If you want to place an order with them, I will pick them up and save you on the shipping and minimum order amount as long as you pick them up from my house in Vista when I return. PM me for more info on dates, etc.

Also, if anyone has Welsh Harlequin I am interested, Metzer wont have any when I get there.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom