San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

My girls are not happy at all. It is face melting out there. Poor things. They have lots of shade and water. I even put a hose on under the jasmine for them .
\

Does anyone have fruit (like plums, apricots or oranges, kumquats) on a tree that they don't want to pick but would be happy to swap for chicks/pullets?

I am hoping to make preserves this year having tasted some of the yummy offerings at the meetups.

So far our chooks are doing fine with heat as luckily the marine layer has been sticking well into the afternoon. We did loose our exchequer leghorn yesterday to crop impaction. Wonderful girl, and was still laying as good as ever at 3+

Last edited:
Hello All! Have somewhat of an emergency ... I'll try to be brief ... had my 1st broody ever (just a small backyard flock owner :)...) so got some chicks to put under her (last hen in the pecking order) and all that worked out well as the chicks were alive in the am but then we tried to move mama & babies to a safer spot as she was parked in the FAVORITE nesting box and was getting stepped on w/babies by the 3 other girls who of course refused to use the other box....which of course didn't work so the babies came inside (next time I'll make sure Mama's in a safe spot 1st before the babies arrive) - fast forward 5 weeks w/o issue and babies go outside for a few hours - 2 days later I think one has Cocci so treat her accordingly she gets better briefly but then sounds like she has a respiratory issue & dies on day 7 after the outdoor adventure. So now I have a sad little chicken who was so terribly sweet while her sister was ill & kept her warm even if it meant laying down in the brooder box so her sister could lean on her to keep warm or upright or close .... she alerted me w/frantic peeps early this am when her sister had fallen over :( and I hoped I caught it in time w/electrolytes & vitamins but tonight had her in a sling against my chest and she died.....So, I have the option of finding another chick 4 - 8 weeks old to bond with mine so they can fend off the BIG girls in awhile or finding my 6 week old a new home.... of course my kids want to find a friend & keep them both....anyone have a 4-8 week old girl that wants to be part of a 6 girl flock? We have 2, 2+ year old Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2, 1+ year old Barred Rocks, and 1, 6 week old Black Australorp/Barred Rock cross. Thanks for reading. -Meredith

Do any of you want some lavender & black bantam chicks? Off the heat lamp. I have no room for them, they were a surprise hatch. Free to any of my BYC friends.
D.gif

The chicks are gone! Thanks vannaHaines! On a related note, I have some lovely pedigreed mini rex baby bunnies and some Jersey Woolies - great for 4-H projects. I just heard back from someone showing a rabbit I sold him and apparently did very well.......

Last edited:
Would have loved some of those bantam chicks but it seems as though my parents and I have landed ourselves in to a pickle. A dove landed in our backyard, bleeding, since it was dropped by whatever hunted it down. Now, my parents, being as excitable as they are, had me place it in the coop. (Put it in its own plastic bin with its own water and food.)

This happened a day after we got our new baby chicks. It seems as though 'fowl math' has decided to target me.

My cousin insists that we can use the pool as a pond so she can ducks, or 'water chickens'.

Golden Polish Cockerel free. You want him come and get him. Around 6 months old. The girls have pecked the middle out of his top hat so I have been keeping him separate. It is filling in nicely. Located in El Cajon.

Back
Top Bottom