San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Thanks for all the tips sI've my body's sit in wire dog creates on theground I can't really put them in water I am going to try cinnamon and floor around the cage a day before my next batch are due to hatch, once the chick's are dry the ants don't seem to bother them.

Thanks for all the tips sI've my body's sit in wire dog creates on theground I can't really put them in water I am going to try cinnamon and floor around the cage a day before my next batch are due to hatch, once the chick's are dry the ants don't seem to bother them.

You could build a cinder block castle with 200 sq ft of inside grounds, a tower, six foot walls all rge way around it and a deep moat with tilapia and hydroponics. Then Paint it all pink. Then set up a 100" screen with a fireworks DVD every evening (you dont want to scare the chickens with real fireworks).

That would keep out the ants and show your chickens that you really love them.

I have gone mad and for two days I have been making hen saddles..... Instead of getting tired of it, I am getting more obsessed! (Inner monolgue: What if I rounded the edge here? Is this too big for the average bantam? Maybe I should try to add a little more flair to the design? Should I bother with wing covers? If so, do I permanently apply them or use industrial velcro? Do I have too much free time on my hands?>>>?)
hmm.png

You could build a cinder block castle with 200 sq ft of inside grounds, a tower, six foot walls all rge way around it and a deep moat with tilapia and hydroponics. Then Paint it all pink. Then set up a 100" screen with a fireworks DVD every evening (you dont want to scare the chickens with real fireworks).

That would keep out the ants and show your chickens that you really love them.

Oz do you think the ducks would bother the tilapia? :p :lol:

We are looking to rehome one of our older chicks. Chickadee/dude is looking more and more roosterish but more to the point s/he keeps getting out of the run/coop and we have two crazy dogs. Luckily so far they have followed our commands when we have growled leave it at them and will go in the house for a treat but DH and I are worried that his/her time is coming soon if we can't get him/her in a more suitable location. The reason Lydia got hurt is because I had been trying for over 45 minutes to get Chickadee into the coop as I had to go out. Chickadee runs like the wind and flies. S/he is more nervous of the dogs than the others and will wind them all up. Is there someone who would like him/her and have a more suitable situation?

Have you tried using DE? A lot of people use it to keep creepy crawlies out of their coops.....but a teensy bit of caution needs to be used because it is a very fine dust (so don't go overboard.) We sprinkled some around their coop and a little bit inside of it where they were getting in and so far seems to be working great. :)

http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

I am looking on getting some cup waterers (red and yellow) attached to pvc pipes and was wondering if any of you use them. If so, how many do you use per birds? Which ones are the best? Do you use the black bracket for easy cleaning? thank you :)

I am looking on getting some cup waterers (red and yellow) attached to pvc pipes and was wondering if any of you use them. If so, how many do you use per birds? Which ones are the best? Do you use the black bracket for easy cleaning? thank you :)

I use the red nipple and they are brilliant. I also have some red cups but the cups still require cleaning out.

Auto waterers and feeders really cut down on a lot of work

pipes are a different color in my neck of the woods. I add a coconut palm vinegar (with mother) - our version of ACV to the water.

Back
Top Bottom