San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Might order with you!
Need to talk to my rents about it first though, since I've really been pushing to getting turkeys for big dinners.
--

How is everybody dealing with the drought? We've recently put up the sun fabric and a length of tarp for the heat. Iced watermelon and other types of fruit too set out as well, but my main concern is getting enough water. We haven't had much of an issue yet (the perks of living near Oceanside!) but with the way the year is going...

Great I'll add you to the list when your ready. :cd

Hi folks, anyone have experience with raising the Freedom Ranger meat birds vs the cornish cross? Any feedback would be greatly appriciated. :D

Hi folks, anyone have experience with raising the Freedom Ranger meat birds vs the cornish cross? Any feedback would be greatly appriciated.
big_smile.png

I would be interested in the info as well.
pop.gif

deb

I have hawks who's favorite perch is a power tower (not a pole, but those big towers) right by my chicken coop/run area. Mine free range at will, their run is covered with netting so I can lock them up when I want, but the gate is always open and they spend the bulk of their time out ranging. I've seen the hawks watch them, on occasion they will circle a few times, but they have never gone after one. I think there is plenty of rabbits, squirrels, etc in the area it's just not worth the risk to them. I keep anything younger than about 3 months locked up, just to be on the safe side, but after that they go out with the flock and ...

Now the coyotes and raccoons are another story :-(

Coyotes & raccoons are bold. My dogs seem to have been a major deterrent - when our neighborly raccoon had babies I took my dogs out on leash and let them terrorize the little ones (without the dogs being able to hurt the raccoons). Those raccoons have never bothered my chickens. Possums, on the other hand, are STUPID. I had to kill one. I tried every way to scare it, but it would not stop visiting the coop. :( Even after one of my dogs nose punched it off a fence!

I also keep any little ones either locked up or under my supervision. No sense tempting fate.

Hey Guys,

Long time no see,
I just had a cougar (mountain lion, not the other cougar...) visit last night or early this morning, got my Chocolate Tom, VERY clear
tracks. I have had 2 at a time less than 20' away that I was able to scare away with a 12 gauge. Maybe next time I wont be
so "considerate". My fault, the chain link gate latch must have been a bit loosened and with the weight on it, it gave enough for the cat
to get in.
A month ago I lost "Lacey" one of my Chocolate Laced hens, who has laid many eggs for me, now have to wait for the other
hens to start laying .Haven't been able to free range the turkeys for awhile now, Frustrating. The turkeys seem to want to free range a bit further than the chickens, go figure.

Look forward to seeing everyone sometime.

Glenn

Sorry to hear about the Mtn lion troubles Glenn
sad.png
Great to live where we live, but it's certainly harder keeping everything near and safe....

The CPP is having a meet up this Saturday in Alpine. I think they want to include BYC people. I thought it would get posted on here.
I'll check and if so, I'll get the info....

Cindy

Hey Stranger Cindy, thanks for the words, on the plus side my friend who took the Ca. Valley Quail eggs and the others which of course I can't recall name of now had nice hatch and told me the other day he would like to get some more this year if possible.
Also, Albert the beautiful Polish Roo I hatched from one of your eggs is stunning. the 2 hens are quite remarkable also.
Will post some photos anter I get my act together.
Thanks, yer the best!
Glenn

Whoops everyone, if I do indeed attend the Alpine shindig, should I bring any turkey eggs for sale?
All chocolates except 5 or 6 that are one of Porter's darker breed hens (similar to eastern Wild) with a Bourbon Red Tom over her.

glenn

Hey Guys,

Long time no see,
I just had a cougar (mountain lion, not the other cougar...) visit last night or early this morning, got my Chocolate Tom, VERY clear
tracks. I have had 2 at a time less than 20' away that I was able to scare away with a 12 gauge. Maybe next time I wont be
so "considerate". My fault, the chain link gate latch must have been a bit loosened and with the weight on it, it gave enough for the cat
to get in.
A month ago I lost "Lacey" one of my Chocolate Laced hens, who has laid many eggs for me, now have to wait for the other
hens to start laying .Haven't been able to free range the turkeys for awhile now, Frustrating. The turkeys seem to want to free range a bit further than the chickens, go figure.

Look forward to seeing everyone sometime.

Glenn

Soo sorry Glenn. For what its worth here in the city we are not immune to these apex predators. San Diego is built up on top of mesas leaving the canyons free for wildlife to pass.

I know Glenn is up in Palomar but I just wanted to refresh the knowledge that Mountain lion range is all the way to the coast.... If the game or water gets scarce they will follow the game. For the most part Mountain lions hunt deer but turkeys and poultry and any stray dog will do. This time of year they will teaching youngsters how to hunt as well....

Also Bobcat will go right up a chain-link fence and they are more prevalent and secretive.. at quick glance they look like a largish house cat.... But they are about 20-30 pounds unless you have something for scale to compare. But by the time you realize that might not be a house cat they will disappear....

my place is in mountain lion country in the big rocks in the desert.... Mountain lions will also take Ostriches... and carry them up and over a pipe corral....
th.gif
feed store owner lost two Ostriches during a thunderstorm....

deb

Back
Top Bottom