San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

Anyone interested in Exchequer leghorn chicks?
Here is my oldest hen and the mother of most of the chicks. The rooster has already been rehomed.
These were flighty until they started laying and now are quite sweet and will eat treats from your hand. Also being leghorns they are super layers.
I just love them, and would keep a whole bunch but need room for the new breeds. If no interest will put the chicks on CL but figured I would see if any BYCer wanted them first, as they were so hard to get hold of in the first place (took 2 years), and am told they have very correct pied color/type/ etc. if you are into showing.

38124_leg3.jpg
38124_leg7.jpg

and for fun
38124_leg6.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Guys and Dolls,
How the time has flown by for all of us!Sorry I've been out of touch (too much work and not enough play!) I've come to the painful decision that it's time to part with my sweet rockerchics, so they are listed on Craigslist, along with all the equipment that goes with raising chics. If you know anyone who would be interested,have them call me and mention the BYC group, and they will get a great deal.You will know which ad is mine because I included the girls' names: Madonna, Cher,Pink and Bonnie. I may still pop in at the meet ups, just because I enjoyed getting to know all of you. Keep having fun with your girls and don't forget to grow them some wheatgrass - they need it this time of year!Bye for now, Rockerchic (LaVonne)PS, my number is 619-905-9073

celebrate.gif
yippiechickie.gif
MARK YOUR CALENDERS FOR THE NEXT MEET UP: SAT., FEB. 25 11AM-2PM
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif

Dos Picos Park, Ramona: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/Camping/dos_picos.html
Tables
under the trees next to the open pavilion.

PRIZES, BEST DEVILED EGG CONTEST, KIDS ACTIVITIES-KIDS, MAKE A CHICKEN THEMED HAT TO WEAR AT THE MEET UP!!
Bring your own pic nic lunch and drink. Desert will be provided.

and of course, BRING YOUR BIRDS!!
jumpy.gif

Hosted by Knock Kneed Hen & All-American-Chick (Allison & Renee)
**PM KKH if you'd like to enter the deviled egg contest OR if you'd like to donate a prize item.

*******************************************************************************************************

Coming:
Knock Kneed Hen - bringing some splash and/or blue NN chickies, possibly Swedish Flower cockerels
All-American-Chick - quail,a sizzle silkie roo,serama pair-black tailed buffs,fertile welsummer eggs for hatching and of course goat milk soap
dfdesigns -
SunnyCalifornia -
OverTheHenHouse-
flower -Would like to buy bantam hatching eggs. Specifically bantam black polish, BBS silkie, serama any color, bantam NNs not buff or red, Ams BBS bantam.
Mar77 -
Luvanimals2 - Looking for olive eggers. Tomato and pepper seeds on the seed mats so I could probably do some trading. I also have blueberry starts, strawberry (sequoia and albion), raspberry and blackberry bareroots. If interested, I can list them.
CANewbieChick -
wwmicasa1 -maybe
perchie.girl -
WFF -
mxschwartz -
WhiteMountainsRanch - hopefully will make it! 1 gallon Blackberry bushes and Aloe vera right now, check website for more.
Kev -Tomaru cockerels, possibly pair (PM if interested),can bring LF mixed color NN/Turken hatching eggs, pretty good layers, some lay big blue eggs. Blue,barred, black, barred, blue tail buff probably will be the main colors -MAYBE have BLR naked neck eggs
Phage &/or Emily -Started Exchequer leghorns (peachick stock)
Started Light and split sussex chicks and maybe silver sussex chicks (from GFF line)
Juvie O shamo hen or pair (from illia's eggs)
Started Swedish flower hen roos and maybe pairs.
Maybe some BLRW chicks/started birds. **Would prefer to only bring the birds that people are interested in.
SD_Paulo-maybe coming, if someone is interested we can bring a dozen or so (depending on how they are laying) of our French Blue/Black Copper Maran eggs.

We'll do our best to keep this list updated and will re-post it at least once a week. PM me if you want something added or changed. Thank you
cool.png

Last edited:
Quote:

YES! I have both! Take a look at my website and see if there is anything you'd like. We also have some 1 gallon Blackberry bushes and Aloe vera right now... probably more stuff around here too!

Allison, I am going to try and make it up there.

Last edited:
Quote:
LaVonne, I am so sad to hear that you have to let your ladies go. It happens. I hope and pray they get a great home. It was so nice to meet you and I hope that you drop by and say HI. Hugs and best to you.
hugs.gif

Nancy

Hi ALL, Hope everyone has a very Happy New Year. I am personally hoping for less roos in my hatches. Yeah, I can dream.

I am hoping to come down for the meetup this time around. I really miss everyone.

If anyone is interested, I am planning on ordering from Mt. Healthy. I am wanting some Amberlinks and may get a few other layers. I will try my best to bring them to the meet up. I am also going to put in a order for some Lav AM from John Blehm. Again, if anyone is interested, just pm.

I will most likely have seedlings to trade by that time. I have tons of tomato and pepper seeds on the seed mats so I could probably do some trading. I also have blueberry starts, strawberry (sequoia and albion), raspberry and blackberry bareroots. If interested, I can list them.

I am looking for olive eggers or ?

Nancy

I was reading an recent post from somebody who claimed that using ACV produced more female offspring in livestock, I wonder if it works in chickens? Anybody use it regularly, and have any input?

Quote:
If my beautiful Blue Marans, who lives with the White Ams, starts laying again I'll bring her eggs for plant trade and I might dig up some Iris Rhizomes for trade also.

Would anybody be interested in Tomaru cockerels? Hatching luck turned out 4 boys 2 girls.
roll.png
I could bring them to meet up.

They are pretty friendly, always running up to the front and crowding around upon entering their pen. The girls are pettable, the boys are more lookee but no touchee. Jet black with tons of colorful shine. No aggression at all. Have videos up on youtube, will give link to interested parties.

If someone is real serious about this breed, will think about parting with a pair- one cockerel and one pullet. (would help a fair bit if other boy<s> went along too...)

I can bring LF mixed color NN/Turken hatching eggs. They are pretty good layers, some lay big eggs. Blue, blue barred, black, barred, blue tail buff probably will be the main colors but total color surprises have popped up. Some lay colored eggs, all are single comb. Relatively rare combination but suppose the introduction of legbars will change that before too long.

MAYBE have BLR naked neck eggs, they will hatch and grow out into big, fluffy birds, the more handsome ones will also have naked necks.
wink.png
I absolutely love the current laced NN roo with BLRW hens from Hoppy(very nice deep bodied fluffy hens). He has a fun personality(non aggressive) and is also half Silver so some of the chicks should come out interesting colored due to combination of Silver and the red enhancers from the BLR genotype.

Last edited:
Quote:

I use ACV religiously with all my babies. Not the adults all the time though, just sometimes.

I haven't noticed it producing more females but maybe you have to give it every day or something?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom