San Diego County, CA R U There?

FOUND! grey silkie bantam rooster at Camino Ruiz Community Park in San Diego on July 9, 2008. Does it belong to you or someone you know? Or do you know someone who would want it? We are in vacation & the kids found it hiding in the bushes in the canyon. Dunno how it survived the coyotes & rattlesnakes, but he's a sweet little guy...

Quote:
Yes. We have more than we can count (?80+?). My 12 yo daughter has been selling eggs since she was 4 years old. We started, I am sure like most others, with just a few and now the flock has really grown. We seem to have a nursing home for chickens as we don't get rid of the old ones when we get new chicks.

We still have some of the original hens around. They are more like pets, with original names. When it became too difficult to keep track of the individual chickens, each species seemed to get its own name (e.g. all the barred rocks were called Barred Rock, the RIRs are Ariel, the white leghorns are Joy, araucanas are Pocahontas, etc.).

People often laugh because we keep the chickens in a barn designed for horses. We enclosed an outdoor coop area so they can go outside whenever they want.

As soon as we figure out a good fencing solution for the vegetable garden, they will be able to free range again. With the price of feed going up so quickly, we won't have much choice but to let them find some more tasty meals than what we provide anyways.

Nice to meet you. I look forward to learning more from the BYC forum.

Take care,
Jacci

Quote:
We certainly have hawks (mostly red shouldered) around here, but haven't had trouble with them wanting the chickens. Guess we have enough rodents to keep them happy. They leave our cats/kittens alone too. Other friends in our town have not been so fortunate. We do have a lot of very large trees which the chickens tend to spend a lot of their time under; perhaps that is the secret to their survival.

Hoping yours stay safe.....

Jacci

Hawks...here too! Even crows or ravens. Could never tell the difference, but anyhow, I witnessed my Onagaodori hen beat it out of the sky before. The crow swooped down and she just fly up and kick it before it even touched the ground to protect her 15+ chicks. It was so crazy! She was running around all proud and mad too.

Haha

Shes wonderful! But shes getting loud now, not knowing why. I guess since she brake away from her kids, shes ready to lay again?

Not sure...any advice would help : )

- Tommy

I keep my little ones fully penned up until their a pretty good size or else I'd be all worried about ravens. As of now, ones land in my yard all the time to get some table scraps left behind. Our 4 roosters make sure he doesn't stay for long though. I have 2 black hens that look like ravens so I always have to double check. I also do have LOTS of trees and whenever I hear a hawk, I find that they've already taken cover.

Hello all, pretty new to your forum. I have spent a lot of time here over the years gathering info. Me and my flock are up in Vista. All I can say is I am addicted to chickens and am Darn proud of it!!! In coop # 1, Curently I have 2 Buff Orpingtons, 8 Barred Rocks, 3 brown( not sure of the breed) and a brand new hatchling from some fertile eggs I put in the coop. Mamma hen's, two have claimed her, are raising the chick all by themselves. I love it. No brooder needed. Coop #2 currently is home to a dozen Americanas(sp) pullets. All happy and healthy living the big life. My family and children have enjoyed raising and eating fresh eggs for several years now. I almost have all my fridends convinced. one by one I am converting them.

Oh by the way, I dont think I would know how to get to the stadium if I tried. I usually stay close to home.
I have plenty to keep me busy.
big_smile.png
gina

Back
Top Bottom