Sand as Bedding

I could give it half an hour or so each morning before anything else, if that's an indicator. I'll look into it. Obviously as I'm having Silkies, they might not be very into roosting, but we'll see!

Also, would you explain what you mean by sifting? I mean, I'm thinking of the cooking type - sifting flour or something! Am I getting mixed up?

Half hour should be fine. I spend maybe 20 minutes each morning putting out chicken food, cleaning poop out of coop and run, and just eyeballing everything to make sure all is well.

And by sifting I mean like cleaning out a cat litter box. I use a cat litter scoop (taped to a broomstick, so I don't have to squat) to sift poop out of the hemp, which then goes into my compost bin. Most of the hemp is fine enough to fall through.

I use natural flake shavings bedding with straw in the nest box and this seems to work well because you can just pick out the worst bits and turn over regularly and just give it a deep clean every month or so
We actually use the same in our small coop, but can only put just about an inch in because of the height of the door, so it gets messy really quick. Perhaps if it were deeper that would work better - I'll have to note that one down - thank you!

Half hour should be fine. I spend maybe 20 minutes each morning putting out chicken food, cleaning poop out of coop and run, and just eyeballing everything to make sure all is well.

And by sifting I mean like cleaning out a cat litter box. I use a cat litter scoop (taped to a broomstick, so I don't have to squat) to sift poop out of the hemp, which then goes into my compost bin. Most of the hemp is fine enough to fall through.
Oh I see... 😂... I clearly have something wrong with me!! I don't have cats, so that's my excuse! Anyway, that's definitely something I'll have to try.
And the broomstick?! Genius.

Sand is the way to go if you have deluge rains like we have. Think beach. Sand dries quicker, doesnt make nasty mudpuddles that birds love to drink, deters parasites, dries quicker than dirt and shavings, doesnt wash away in hard rains and it's easy to scoop poop.
I've used sand for years and have sand in all the coops and pens. I buy it by the dump truck load and cover it over with tarp.
View attachment 2513958View attachment 2513959View attachment 2513972View attachment 2513974View attachment 2513975

How big is the playhouse?
How many birds in there?
Pics might help here.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

full

How big is the playhouse?
How many birds in there?
Pics might help here.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.
That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

full
Wow, thank you for the in-depth post! Really appreciated :hugs
I'll get measurements and photos in just a moment! It'll take about 6 Silkies. So roosts will be low; as will nest boxes. I'm not sure whether that makes poop boards pointless, but..? Opinions?
The waste will probably end up being composted if it's shavings. If sand, I'm not (yet) sure.

Edit: might actually be a while - I have to go out but will post pictures when I'm back!

Back
Top Bottom