Sand as litter?

I keep an old Folgers coffee can filled with sand in my bathroom, lid removed. I keep the bathroom nice n warm so eventually the sand dries out and can be used to top up the dust bath. I also put their water in there to thaw when I swap it for fresh every couple hours.

Makes sense. I free range, so there is no bedding. They go in the coop to sleep and its elevated with a harware cloth bottom. I just shovel out where it piles up. Didn't know if litter would be easier to scoop out, last longer even though it costs more? I don't know if chickens will eat enough of it to cause problems. Just curious if anybody ever tried it. (most of it says non clumping) :gig I don't have cats, so I have no idea lol.

Or, maybe that paper bedding, like the stuff people use for ferrets. I know people with chickens usually go with the cheap wood shavings cause they poop a ton of times EVERYWHERE, and fling it everywhere.

I have sand in my poop tray. Even at -40 I haven't had problems with it freezing. I add just a little bit of zeolite which helped dry out the sand beautifully. My extra sand is another story. Frozen solid, so I can't top up the poop tray with more sand for a while.
Zeolite is something you can get at garden centres (not somewhere like home depot or Lowe's, but a nursery) or some places that carry landscaping rock might have it. In the US it's really easy to find. It's sold as sweet pdz.

Here in New Zealand plain zeolite is sold for kitty litter.it can be bought in the supermarket.Scoop up poop and put in compost.It cuts down smell and helps dry out the poop.When you want to change it out completely it can go in the compost.Won't harm the birds if they eat some. I now use newspaper under the roosts. Every morning just roll it up and put in compost.

Back
Top Bottom