Sand as substrate in duck coop

Soos-Quacken

Chirping
Apr 19, 2020
Colorado
Up until now we’ve been primarily using straw as substrate for our ducks. However we’ve been having issues with flies and smell, so I’m wondering if sand would be a better choice for bedding?

Up until now we’ve been primarily using straw as substrate for our ducks. However we’ve been having issues with flies and smell, so I’m wondering if sand would be a better choice for bedding?
I would say it would not be a good idea for use in their pen where they sleep. Is that what you were talking about or are you talking about their run where they are outside all day?

I know some on here use sand I believe but I have no experience with that. I block off areas of my run and seed with grass seed. When it grows I let the ducks in there and block off another area. I'm on my last area now and in a couple of weeks, my whole flock will be in there and it will all be grass.

We use sand in our run and it has been amazing! NO smell...no bugs. I have a cat litter scoop that I use once a week but otherwise our 3 ducks poop just kinda 'melts' away in to the sand. And no worries about splashed water from drinking..playing..or any rain the blows in.

I use sand in my run in the warm seasons - we use PDZ horse stall refresher granules mixed with play sand. I love it - no mess, no smell. I keep it about 1-2 inches deep. My husband rigged up a kitty litter scooper on the end of a broom handle - makes scooping really easy. I scoop several times each day. I never hose it down and don't keep a pool in that part of their living area. I think if it gets wet it would be a lot messier. I keep their food and water on a cloth peepee pad which sits on a plastic kennel tray - so it doesn't spill over to the sand.

Back
Top Bottom