Sand before or after

Tinkymoe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 10, 2011
Hi!

We are building our coop and are ready to start the run -- I am going to use sand in the run and the coop and I was not sure if I should let the chickens eat the grass and once it gets to dirt put the gravel and then sand down or but the gravel and sand down on top of the grass. I had to cover up all that nice green stuff but don't want to have any problems with keeping the run clean. I am only going to have 3 silkie hens to start. My coop is 4 x 4 and two feet off the ground and we are extending the run another 4 feet out on one side.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Tinkymoe

Yeah, I let them eat the grass first, too, but I did use gravel. It helps dry things out a bit faster after a rain.

Great! I would much rather let them eat the grass first! I will use gravel because I am in FL and during our "rainy season" the drainage wouldn't hurt even though I purposefully placed the coop in an areas that does not get boggy even in the heaviest rains.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I won't worry about running out tomorrow to get more sand/gravel now!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom