Sand floor in a raised run?

SydneyChick

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 28, 2011
Hi everyone!

Ok. So we've got some flooding/run off issues with the current location of our chicken shed.

We can't relocate, so we've made the decision to build a platform for the whole chicken shed and raise it on legs.

We still want to use sand, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips?

The new floor will be painted exterior grade plywood.

The sand will go on top of that.

Sounds good to me. Nice waterproof coating on the wood. Pressure treated wood that touches the ground. Id do a vapor barrier between the floor and the pressure treated because water tends to wick up.

Oh and
welcome-byc.gif
from San Diego.... where are you located?

deb

Perchie girl - I'm in Sydney, Australia. But I find this forum so useful I thought I would join!

Bearfoot Farm - we're not raising it very high. About 1 foot off the ground. We've dug a French drain around the site. Because the site is on a slight slope we really just have to deal with flowing water during rainstorms. The water doesn't hang around thank goodness.

We're using wood sleepers and treated pine crossbeams. We will be treating the wood before assembly with a timber stain and/or paint.

An elevated sandbox? What volume of sand are you talking about? Don't skimp on floor joists...1 yd3 of sand ~2600lbs.
That's a 9' x 9' floor, 81ft2, filled only 4" deep.

Quote: In that case I think you'd be FAR better off to just box in the sides and add a foot or more.of sand

Building a platform is a lot of work and expense, and won't last long when covered with damp soil

You'll get the same result with a deep bed of sand piled directly on the ground

I've already bought the wood and everything. I'd rather change my flooring choice than back off from the platform idea now.

Since I'm not handy and I'm a novice chicken keeper, a friend of mine has planned the platform and is supervising construction.
:)

She keeps ducks and has apparently done all this before.

I think the plan is that the two wood sleepers will take the majority of the load, with four supporting posts also helping. Then we have some pretty heavy duty treated pine supporting beams.

What do you think? Should I give up on the sand? Or persevere? The sand IS going to weigh 500kg dry and possibly twice that if rain blows in. :(

We have a lot of old bricks lying around - I could make some brick "pylons" to add some extra support?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom