Sand flooring/poop board question

JML72

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
Hi all - another newbie question. I'm reading about the virtues of sand in the run as well as the house. That's the direction I'm leaning. However - let me ask a couple of questions I wasn't able to find on here:

1) Construction sand is the best? I mean, is it right that play sand packs down too much? (My run will be covered, but obviously not water tight)

2) Does sand in the house negate the idea of a poop board? I just wonder, if you have the floor of the run being sand, then what would be the benefit of a higher board being sand/zeolite/whatever? Wouldn't it just be the same to scoop the house floor with a kitty litter scoop as it would be to scoop a poop board?

Thanks in advance

Hi all - another newbie question. I'm reading about the virtues of sand in the run as well as the house. That's the direction I'm leaning. However - let me ask a couple of questions I wasn't able to find on here:

1) Construction sand is the best? I mean, is it right that play sand packs down too much? (My run will be covered, but obviously not water tight)

2) Does sand in the house negate the idea of a poop board? I just wonder, if you have the floor of the run being sand, then what would be the benefit of a higher board being sand/zeolite/whatever? Wouldn't it just be the same to scoop the house floor with a kitty litter scoop as it would be to scoop a poop board?

Thanks in advance

Hi JM .. I am a newbie, but a well read one
gig.gif

1) Yes, construction sand, rough sand septic sand etc are the best as they allow tghe water to pass through much faster allowing the sand to dry musch faster. It is also better for grit and to keep the feet clean (all this is from my research)

2) No! A poop board will make clean up easier and faster and also keep the sand cleaner for longer. Check out this thread if you haven't already .. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-graphic-gross-poop-pictures/130#post_8731940

I will be going to this meathod with Sand in the run, but deep litter in the coop ..... keep us posted!!!
thumbsup.gif

Hey Tony - thanks for the input! I'm still not sure how it's different if you scoop off a poop board covered in sand, or you just scoop the floor of sand under the roost. The beauty of this kind of place (and I read way more than I should about all this stuff too!) is that there is such a wealth of information. The downfall is everyone says their own way is pretty much the best way
hu.gif

Jason

Hey Tony - thanks for the input! I'm still not sure how it's different if you scoop off a poop board covered in sand, or you just scoop the floor of sand under the roost. The beauty of this kind of place (and I read way more than I should about all this stuff too!) is that there is such a wealth of information. The downfall is everyone says their own way is pretty much the best way
hu.gif

Jason

Hey Jason,

The Poop Boards are covered with Sweet PDZ, a moisture controlling, odor eliminating product used mostly in Horse stalls ... until the thread I posted a link to
thumbsup.gif

It comes in powder or granular form and if you read the thread and the testimonials, you will be convinced it is the way to go ... it worked for me
big_smile.png

Hm. Ok. So rather than mix that in with the sand along the floor of the henhouse, you're saying have the poop board with ONLY the pdz on it? (Sometime you have to talk to me like I'm a 4 year old - just be warned) LOL
hmm.png

Hm. Ok. So rather than mix that in with the sand along the floor of the henhouse, you're saying have the poop board with ONLY the pdz on it? (Sometime you have to talk to me like I'm a 4 year old - just be warned) LOL
hmm.png

Jason, that is correct! Put a lip around your poop board, put in PDZ, scoop every several days with a cat litter scoop and WALLAH!

600x450px-LL-837deedf_chickens127.jpeg

600x450px-LL-8d553abf_chickens128.jpeg

Read the thread ... you will love it!

BTW, sorry it took so long to respond, Tapatalk decided to not let me post on this thread only ....
rant.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom