Greenlynn

Hatching
Jul 31, 2019
So purchased contractors sand and have been using it in the coop for 4 no the now this was the sand that was recommended by so many even threw these feeds but my chickens seem to kick up so much dust in there at night when they are all trying to get situated and when I rake out the sand it gets so dusty that i cough and have a huge layer of dust on my glasses and just recently one of my chickens is coughing and sneezing and that is the only thing I can think of one lowes website it states specifically that it was safe for coop use I just honestly didn't expect this much dust is there any thing I can do to reduce dust and do you think this can make my chicken cough and sneeze threw outta day ? Would if I hose it down after it dries do you think it will be any better or worse till I can figure something out ? Thank you for your time

Yes, I would hose it down....

Or, depending on the flooring in your coop...maybe you need to just shovel it all out and use it in your garden...

That sounds way too dusty.

I would not hose it down, you don't want dampness in a coop...
..especially in sand saturated with pulverized poop-it'll stink.
Best to shovel it all out and use shavings on floor.

'Grats on your first post! @Greenlynn
Tell us more about your coop and flock.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.

-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.

-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.

-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

What I noticed using sand, is you still have to totally clean out the sand each Fall and Spring because it does turn really dusty. I even had a poop board that I cleaned daily. With the chickens natural dander and poop mixed in it really becomes a dusty mess.
:sick
Also I'm allergic to chickens too...:hmm..:th

So purchased contractors sand and have been using it in the coop for 4 no the now this was the sand that was recommended by so many even threw these feeds but my chickens seem to kick up so much dust in there at night when they are all trying to get situated and when I rake out the sand it gets so dusty that i cough and have a huge layer of dust on my glasses and just recently one of my chickens is coughing and sneezing and that is the only thing I can think of one lowes website it states specifically that it was safe for coop use I just honestly didn't expect this much dust is there any thing I can do to reduce dust and do you think this can make my chicken cough and sneeze threw outta day ? Would if I hose it down after it dries do you think it will be any better or worse till I can figure something out ? Thank you for your time
sounds like it's to fine, but I get sand at a sand and gravel place locally, not the contractors. with it that fine You can wet it down to help, but I would recommend removing it where it's bugging you and your flock and seeing if you can find a place that has one that is a lot heavier and coarser. you can use a dust mask but don't think the chickens would lol so having coop as open as you can should help mitigate it a bit of

GREAT list of ideas! Thanks! We're starting our first flock and I've been wondering.
We're using sand in the outer (enclosed) chicken yard. The coop has a metal-lined drawer and I've been wondering what to place on it for poop collection. Does it matter if the nest boxes and coop floor use the same material?

Back
Top Bottom