Sand or dust alternatives?

jaymean

Songster
5 Years
Dec 15, 2016
Hawaii
Hi everyone!

I need some recommendations on safe, cost effective sand alternatives. I have 7 quails (4 buttons, 3 coturnix) that live indoor. I've been using chinchilla sand in their dust boxes and they seem to love it. I first tried chinchilla dust and was appalled at how it got EVERYWHERE, so that's not an option for me.

Does anyone use anything else that's safe and relatively cheap?

Dirt. Seriously, quail love it. Do you have an oven or microwave? Go outside, scoop up some dirt and cook it, following gardening guides online for sterilization. All you're trying to do is kill bacteria/worm eggs so the birds don't get sick. It's heavy enough it doesn't get flung as far as sand and it's basically free (just make sure there's no pesticide/herbicide on it, that could do nasty things when heated). Washed multipurpose sand could also work too.

The only things you can put in a sand/dirt/dust bath are sand, dirt, and dust. It's called a dust bath for a reason, it needs to contain dust. The fine particles are what suffocate any mites and provide the grooming benefits, and the rest is what provides the enrichment.
Dirt, especially compost dirt, is least likely to get literally everywhere. They might dustbathe in sawdust but won't get any benefits beyond that. If you don't give them a suitable sandbox, you'll know, they'll dustbathe in their grits/feed instead.

*sigh* my smart mouth answer wants to be a bowl of food LOL but then I thought about it and actually it does work...

Seriously mine bath in their food bowl and EAT while bathing. They take turns. They have a trough as well, but the food is crumbles and is dusty so I fill the bowl they take a bath and eat it... that seems to be cost affective right? LOL

*sigh* my smart mouth answer wants to be a bowl of food LOL but then I thought about it and actually it does work...

Seriously mine bath in their food bowl and EAT while bathing. They take turns. They have a trough as well, but the food is crumbles and is dusty so I fill the bowl they take a bath and eat it... that seems to be cost affective right? LOL

Haha! Mine used to do that too. I had to get a different feeder to prevent them from flinging the food all over the place. You do make a good point about it being cost effective though! :D

My white coturnix "dusts" in a towel. Weird bird.

Back
Top Bottom