Sand question

grandmaof5

Songster
10 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Central N.S.
We were at the beach today and I scooped up a bit of sand, thinking my 3 two-week old girls could use it as grit, which I understand they need if I offer anything other than their starter. My question is whether I should wash the sand first; is there anything in sand from an ocean beach which could harm them? I was thinking that it would be salty, but is that good or otherwise, for them?

Quote:
lol...nope; I'm in Nova Scotia. That mess hasn't made it this far north... yet

*off to wash the sand. Thanks, guys

Last edited:
Now I will have to figure out how to put it in the chicken mobile. Maybe some kind of hanging flat planter water full of sand that they can crawl up into? When they make a hole out in the yard, someone always gets pecked on when there is not enough room for others to join in the dirt hole. I am afriad I could not find a planting box big enough for 6 hens and 1 rooeter. Plus it would weight down when moving the chicken mobile.
sad.png
Any good ideas out there, please send them this way to the new Isa Brown girl. Thanks!

Last edited:
We use a big metal feeding dish(looks like a big pie dish/slop feeder). 2 of our hens can fit in there together. Since we also have a chicken tractor, it's easy to take it out before moving and if there is a chance of rain, it can come out.

Back
Top Bottom