Sanford, NC family fined $1300 day for chickens!Update She Found US!!!

This makes me so mad, why are people so stupid? Backyard chickens used to be allowed everywhere. What is coming of this world?

Please hang in there and best of luck. Keep your chin up and keep us informed. If there is anything I can do I will.

*Hey, guys?? DH(!!) had an idea. He suggested that if a defense trust has been set up for Alex, that we could make a contribution "in the name of" our own chicken(s). Is a trust in the works, does anyone know???

ALEX, I'M SO GLAD YOU FOUND MY POST!!! I'm just in tears.
I didn't know how to get to you any other way except to post here and hope you'd find it.
What can we do? I'm way over near Rocky Mount but if there is anything....anything we can help with just let us know.

D.K. - that is a great idea. We could start a fund in the name of backyardchicken pals and our PET CHICKENS.
If this happens I will contact WRAL news to tell them about it.

If there is anyone of this board that has been through this please post here. Tell Alex what she can do to win this case!

Okay, this is what I have found out for those interested in buzzing their ears...

City Council for Sanford, NC : area code (919)

Mayor - Cornelia Olive 775-8365
Mayor Pro Tem - Joseph E. Martin, At Large 776-6022

Council Members:

Stephen M. Brewer, 1st Ward
Charles Taylor, 2nd Ward
James G. Williams, 3rd Ward 776-5000
Walter H. McNeil, Jr., 4th Ward
Linwood S. Mann, 5th ward 776-5644
Michael C. Stone, At-Large

City Manager - Hal Hegwer 775-8202

As to the City Attorney, their job is to support the council and the City, not the private citizens. Here is her job description and info...

The City of Sanford provides for a full-time in house legal department consisting of the City Attorney and City Paralegal. Their offices are located in City Hall at 225 E. Weatherspoon St., Sanford, North Carolina 27330.

The City Attorney gives legal advice and counsel to the Mayor, City Council, City Manager, and all city departments. The City Attorney also provides legal advice to all boards, commissions, committees and related officials.

Primary duties of the City Attorney include reviewing and approving all contracts, agreements, ordinances, policies and related documents; representing the City in legal matters, including instituting suits by the City and defending the City in suits brought against it; supervising the drafting of ordinances and resolutions for the City Council and interpreting the same; and performing legal research in land transactions, general municipal government, and administrative procedures.

City Attorney - Susan C. Patterson 775-8211

City Paralegal - Vacant if anyone wants a job

Primary duties of the City Paralegal include assisting the City Attorney by conducting legal research, searching real estate land transactions and titles, and general administrative duties.

This is the Ordinance that the morons are using...why go to the trouble of defining the requirements for a coop if you cannot keep them? Duh.

Sec. 4-5. Keeping of swine, poultry and goats.

No person shall keep or harbor within the city any pig, hog or other animal of the swine variety, chickens or other animal of the poultry variety, or any goats.

(Ord. No. 1998-26, § 93.04, 7-7-1998)

Sec. 4-6. Pens, coops and other enclosures.

(a) Location; sanitary maintenance. Pens, coops, and other enclosures and places where animals or fowl are kept or fed shall be located at such distance from dwellings and places of human activity, and at such distance from sources of water and food supply or preparation, as may be necessary to protect the public health. All such pens, coops, and other enclosures and places shall be maintained at all times in a clean and sanitary condition and so as not to constitute a public nuisance or give offense to persons in the vicinity thereof. Refuse therefrom shall be removed at least once per day and disposed of in a lawful and sanitary manner.

(b) Violations. The city manager, upon complaint by any responsible person, or on his own volition, may cause an appropriate city officer or animal control officer to investigate any pen, coop or other enclosure or place where any animal or fowl is kept or fed, and if the facts developed by such investigation appear to be in violation of subsection (a) of this section the city manager may direct the offender to take such corrective action as may be necessary, upon pain of prosecution for the violation if the offender fails to comply with the directive of the city manager.

(Ord. No. 1998-26, § 93.05, 7-7-1998)

How can they charge her 100.00 per day per chicken when their Municipal code says otherwise? Granted they have their "gray area" covered.

ARTICLE V. PENALTY

Sec. 4-201. Enforcement; penalties; additional remedies.

(a) Civil penalty. Except as otherwise provided, any person who violates any provision of this chapter shall be fined a civil penalty of $50.00. If the violation is continued, each day's violation shall constitute a separate offense. Payment of such penalties shall be made within 72 hours. Civil penalties may be assessed by citation given by any animal control officer or police officer and recovered by the city in a civil action in the nature of a debt.

(b) Criminal penalty. Violation of any provision of this chapter may subject the violator to criminal as well as civil action. In addition to the civil penalties or fees imposed under this chapter, violation of this chapter shall be a misdemeanor for which a criminal summons may be issued. Any person convicted of such violation shall be punishable as provided under G.S. 14-4. Each day's violation of this section is a separate offense. Payment of a fine imposed in criminal proceedings pursuant to this subsection does not relievea person of his liability for taxes, civil penalties or fees imposed under this chapter.

(c) Additional remedies. In addition, enforcement of this chapter may be by appropriate equitable remedy, injunction or order of abatement issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.

(d) Investigation of complaints; order to correct violation. The city manager may, upon complaint by any responsible person, or on his own volition, cause an appropriate city officer or animal control officer to investigate any complaint which appears to indicate a violation of this chapter. The city manager may direct the offender to take such corrective action as may be necessary for the violation if the offender fails to comply with the directive of the officer or animal control officer.

(Ord. No. 1998-26, § 93.99, 7-7-1998)

Here are your building inspectors

Larry Blickenstaff, Building Inspector 718-4654
David Francis, Building Inspector 718-4654
James Collins, Building Inspector 718-4654

The link for their email...

Go to this page and select contact city...an email will open for you.

http://www.sanfordnc.net/site_map.HTM

Okay...I will keep searching and in the meantime, send emails and make phone calls. I am dangerous as I have free long distance at home. *smirk*

Fight for chickens!

Thank you for posting that info. This is what I live with daily. I'm so fortunate to live in Lee County, but then again they very well could one day make ME get rid of my chickens.

Last edited:
You are most welcome. I think tomorrow everyone on that list will get at least one phone call from me...maybe two if they irritate me or try to placate me. *smirk*

Right at the top it is (919)
big_smile.png

You're not an idiot...that was a ton of info in one post. I am surprised I did not forget to put it in there.
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom