Sapphire Gem question

gwells1980

Songster
Jan 3, 2023
Kentucky
I posted this picture in another one of my posts but I thought it would be better to asked it of people who raise Sapphire Gem hens.

I have one Sapphire Gem named Saphron and these are all her eggs. Her last 4 eggs have gotten progressively larger. I know Sapphire Gems are bred to be extremely reliable and prolific layers but this is a bit troubling. That is Saphron's last 4 eggs from left to right. When I got the Jumbo yesterday I was excited. When I got that today I was concerned for her health. Even if this is just a hick-up or a fluke, is there anything I need to be doing to help her. That couldn't have been pleasant to pass.

20230402_123718.jpg

The biggest one is probably a double-yolker. You will know for sure when you crack it open.

Double yolk eggs and other oddities are fairly common with new layers, and happen occasionally with layers of any age. There's not really anything you can do about it, and I think no real reason to worry either.

The biggest one is probably a double-yolker. You will know for sure when you crack it open.

Double yolk eggs and other oddities are fairly common with new layers, and happen occasionally with layers of any age. There's not really anything you can do about it, and I think no real reason to worry either.
We used it last night to make fried chicken. You are right, it was a double yolker! It made it easier than having to use 2 large eggs :)

My remaining Sapphire Gem, Petra, will be 5 years old in August. She lays less frequently now, but all of her eggs are so large that an egg carton for extra large eggs will barely close around them.

Petra's are among the eggs I sell, and while everyone remarks on the size, no one has mentioned double yolks in any of them. Amazing that the size of Saphron's eggs changed so drastically!

Back
Top Bottom