Sapphire OE dying? Anything I can do?

Silviaschicks

Crest Craver
Jun 6, 2020
Crest Country
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,
I got home from a two week vacation and my BR had plucked out lots of feathers from my OE's neck. My OE lost about 600 grams. She's super light (1.4 kilos) super weak (always falling asleep and her left leg isn't very strong) and her eye sight is terrible. If I give her food in a bowl half the time she misses the bowl completely. Her tail is down, and she drinks a lot. Sometimes she'll miss the drinker but still tilt her head up and move her tongue and throat like she's swallowing. However, she is super talkative. I suspect it is Marek's that got into her brain, as she was paralyzed and really sick about a month ago. Is there anything I can do to help her, or should I just say goodbye?

Might be a silly question to ask, but was someone watching your birds for you? 2 weeks is a long time to leave chickens alone even if you set up some kind of automated system.

I would recommend getting electrolytes (save a chick, hydro hen) into her asap and try to get food into her. From what you've described it sounds like she's emaciated, which will make it very difficult for her to do anything on her own.

You may need to tube feed her. I'll tag some people who may know how to help here. Hope she recovers soon, best wishes to you both.

@Eggcessive
@sourland
@Miss Lydia

I should also mention that she hasn’t laid eggs in a few non the. Is there anything I can give her to help her eyesight recover? Her iris can’t contract so she can’t focus on things and can only see in certain lights

Back
Top Bottom