Satellite maps are kinda creepy....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I just put in my address as it's been a while since I've checked it, and sure enough there is my new coop! I think they even got a picture of me painting the outside!!

I don't like that any stranger can put in my address, get a layout of my property, what I have where...you get it....I just find that creepy!!

2. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I feel the same way!!! It is very creepy! I don't think they should just be available for anyone to see. Those satellite maps are a stalker's, murderer, etc dream come true!!!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Even though we freeze all winter and spend a fortune trying to heat the place, sat images make me VERY glad to have heavy tree cover. Not just overhead, but all around as well. Makes it tough to garden, but we are virtually invisible.

4. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    Very creepy! Invasion of privacy. And yeah- local theifs could totally size you up using this technology.

I think we are too far out in the country to have good images of our property but I will have to double check when I am not on dial up.

5. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Quote:X2

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:You'd be surprised - we are rural and there are several pics of our property from street level, right on the tiny side road! In one, you can see the back end of my truck. Luckily, the plate is unreadable. I don't park it there anymore though.

7. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah i really don't like it either, invasion of privacy and all that. i checked out our place the other day. backyards should be private, not readily accessible by anyone with the internet. and yeah, as has been pointed out, so many different illegitimate uses for the images.

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:Thanks for letting us all know.....just kidding!

9. RabbitMage

RabbitMage Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    If I remember right, it is totally legal for anyone to take pictures of your property as long as they aren't actually on your property. There's no legal issue with the sat. photos.

And if someone wants to stalk, murder, or rob you, they can find a way to do it with or without Google Earth.

10. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Yeah I am surprised theres no privacy law to protect us. Especially insurance companies will relize this great tool to find stuff we shouldn't have or things not covered ect. Not good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by