Saved a life

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Aug 5, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yesterday, a crow got into the neighbor's run and couldn't get out. A large flock of crows came to the rescue all squawking. I looked over to see what was happening. Their Barred Rock huge rooster was hanging on the fence upside down not moving. I jumped the fence and the kid and his mom were standing there cause they wouldn't go in the run (dumb!) He got his feet caught in the wire. His eyes were closed. He was breathing. So I went in and got him free, I put him down and he wobbled a bit. But now he is fine. Just wanted to share the story.

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    awww I am glad you were there to rescue him and that he's ok. What dummies for standing there watching him suffer!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My word! What were they thinking?!?! Great job to you! [​IMG]

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    These people are sooo retarded. They keep their 2 chickens in a 4x8 run. They never go out. They feed them scratch and bread. They are in a run that is twist tied together, and the bantum hen kept getting out for months, and they fixed that with a piece of cardboard. Every time for months they would ask me to help catch their bantum. After the 5th time, I didn't respond anymore, just told them that she would go back in by herself.
    I have given them advice on these things over and over again. They see what my chickens get, and how they are loose all day. The husband can't even take wire and nail it to posts. He doesn't know how to do anything. I try hard to avoid them. My DH won't let me put up a stockade fence on that side. Real a**holes. And educated people to boot!

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Book knowledge and common sense are two different things! I wish more companies would realize that. [​IMG]

6. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Good job on the rescue...
    Stupid neighbours...

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    seminolewind, even as your neighbors have shown you what helpless inaction is, so you have been an example to them of intelligent compassion in action.

Just keep up the good work. It matters. [​IMG]

Jen in TN

8. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    [​IMG] Im glad you saved a life...but I dont understand...the crow got in but the rooster was stuck?

9. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

10. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    one time i was at jackalope visiting their chickens and i walked to the back (this was before i had chickens)
    and i saw one hanging by one foot on the droopy chicken wire top. i ran to get the manager to get him down! i saved a life 2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by