Saved duckling from drowning, now won’t eat or drink and is panting heavily

Turboduck

Hatching
Mar 25, 2019
My girlfriend is raising 6 baby ducklings and when letting them swim in fairly shallow water one of them was pushed under and held under by the bigger ducklings and became almost lifeless. We grabbed him out of the water and tried to get him back to life. We were successful however now he is isolating himself from the rest of the ducklings and is panting heavily and will not drink or eat food. We do not have much experience with ducks but I really don’t wanna see him die. Any help or suggestions would be great. He deffinetly had water in his lungs but we got him to spit it out and he started breathing better but it is taken a turn. Please help

I tend to give them boiled egg-yolk, with a bit of water mixed in so it becomes a porridge. And gently 'force' them some. (smearing it around their bill). And keep them under my shirt on my naked skin to get warm fast and get more relaxed. But he is probably already on temperature. But the 'feeling safe' thing also works if you have some time off today. And the extra attention, feeding, because it is smaller then the rest can give it a grow-spurt in 1-3 days; and reintrocution in het gtoup goes fine on that age when it has more strenght.

My girlfriend is raising 6 baby ducklings and when letting them swim in fairly shallow water one of them was pushed under and held under by the bigger ducklings and became almost lifeless. We grabbed him out of the water and tried to get him back to life. We were successful however now he is isolating himself from the rest of the ducklings and is panting heavily and will not drink or eat food. We do not have much experience with ducks but I really don’t wanna see him die. Any help or suggestions would be great. He deffinetly had water in his lungs but we got him to spit it out and he started breathing better but it is taken a turn. Please help
Welcome to BYC. Can you take a video, upload to YouTube or Vimeo, then copy/paste the link here?

Back
Top Bottom