Saw Dust for Bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LeezyBeezy, Sep 22, 2010.

1. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    We have a pretty big pile of saw dust after cutting logs for winter fuel. It's made up of maple and ash. Is that OK to add to my pine shavings? I haven't read anywhere about thee woods being off limits.

thanks

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    There isn't a problem with those types of wood. The only concern is how fine the particles are. Not good for you or the chickens to breathe in too much dust. Since you are mixing it with shavings you'll probably be fine.

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Nope, not too fine. It's from a chain saw. Plus, I'm going to put it down and then shavings over it. thanks

4. golden comets

golden comets Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Some of the shavings I buy are more like sawdust then shavings and there is a lot of dust in them,is there a brand that is dust free or close to it?

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Not that I know of, I think they all have some dust.

6. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    You'll probably want to let them dry out all of the way before you use them, or they could create a humidity problem.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What a good idea! I tried to burn sawdust in the woodstove last year. I had to keep opening the door to get the rest to catch fire, and that took forever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by