saw my mailman throwing my eggs

BairleaFarm

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Georgetown, KY
The postal service in my area is great and they treat me well. I have mass quantities of packages coming and going. The flat rate box gave me the power to ship and receive heavy packages at little cost. Back last year some time he was delivering a box. I told him no point in getting out of his car when he came up the drive. I told him just to toss the packages on the porch. I didnt hear him pull up the other day but heard two thuds against my door. He just threw them out the window. Now - when I order eggs he very so gently places the boxes in my shop. I told him I didnt want them sitting in the sun on my porch. These boxes i got the other day were not marked as eggs or fragile. Just plain boxes.

I dont think postal workers are overly abusive towards packages. I believe its 100% packaging. You can drop my packages off a roof(i tested it) and no eggs break. These eggs where from a member here and i must say superb packaging. I also received eggs from someone the other day. 42 guinea in one flat rate box. Took over a hour to get these eggs unpackaged.

moral of the story. great packaging saves eggs. Guy in AR egg cartons are unacceptable and make my counter messy when i try to upack a broken mess.

Quote:
I'm curious, did you check to see if the yolks were fine in the group you dropped off the roof? My last batch of eggs was packed superbly, the box was dented, but no shells cracked. However when I gently opened up the eggs which did not develop, I discovered 7 out of 8 had busted yolks. I had another delivery, where the box was more dented, several eggs had broken, but, there was less over all yolk damage and so, in this group I had a much better hatch rate.

This has been a learning experience, and if what I've experienced is something I can make a generalization about (which I'm not sure I can) I'd prefer a packing method which allows for a few broken shells, if that means less scrambling of the yolks.

It would be great to find a universal packing method which guarentees the best hatch rates possible.
smile.png

Last year I worked in the courier business and the workers I saw were brutal with the boxes.
It was almost a game to see how abusive they could be before a box or product obviously broke.
When that happened they giggled like little kids.

I complained to the senior manager and was dismissed that week.

I have no idea how they keep their customers.

The best method of packaging and survival rates for products lay entirely with the workers treatment
of their consignments. Failing that, the best I saw was a package-within-a-package and the use of
air-bubble wrap.

Quote:
Not egg related, but at work we charged a courier business ~$3000 when they mishandled and damaged our package. They sent us a letter firing us as their customer (as if we wold have used them again
tongue.png
).

sorry, back to the topic.

WOW--truth will out!

I worked for a mail order company, and as a packer worked very hard to pack items well to with stand rough handling. Now I'm really wondering why I should buy rare lines of chickens. ANy way to help ensure the insides of the eggs are intact? Loads of bubble wrap to absorb impact?

Quote:
...literally.

Ask for a guarantee of 'safe arrival' - or hire a friend with a motorbike to do the trip.

e2a:
shortened quote

Last edited:
'm curious, did you check to see if the yolks were fine in the group you dropped off the roof?

I hatched most of them. I didnt inspect the ones that did not hatch. Kinda wish i would have now that you mention it.​

Along the lines of horror stories at workplaces....eating store bought bread is something I rarely do after dating a guy who worked for Storks. He and his coworkers would hock lugies, put dead bugs in, tobacco juice, etc. in the dough as it was mixing. He would never eat his company's breads....and then I gave him food for thought one day. I suggested that maybe the breads he did consumed were made by guys just like him somewhere at another company....I don't think that thought had ever crossed his simple little mind!
hmm.png

Quote:
I hatched most of them. I didnt inspect the ones that did not hatch. Kinda wish i would have now that you mention it.

lol, hind sight is always better. Next time you package up some eggs to ship, could you snap a picture and post it? Curious to see your method. Thanks.
smile.png

I recently received eggs and the box was sooo badly dented when i opened it 6 out of 18 eggs were smashed. Even the postal workers couldn't believe how badly damaged the box was. As far as packaged these eggs couldn't have been packaged any better then they were, Fragile in the largest letters were written all over the box.. So I don't believe just packaging them correctly is the full solution. The postal service told me that it looks like they had placed boxes on top of my eggs. So how can you avoid that??? Words from the postal office, I asked them well if I have more eggs shipped to me what do you think is the best best way for this to be avoided. Her only solution was to pay more for EXPRESS.. YEH right, they can't do it right regularly way why would I pay more for the same MISTREATMENT of my package... I even called a head of time to let them know a package is coming, it has eggs in it please take the up most care in it...

Didn't happen for me...

Back
Top Bottom