Saxony Duck Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stonecottagefarm, Jun 28, 2011.

1. stonecottagefarm

stonecottagefarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    I am not sure if there is already a Saxony Duck thread and if there is, link me to it. If not, I am hoping other Saxony raisers will flock here. Hee hee.

We currently have almost 50 saxony ducklings and they are between 3-4 weeks old. We are waiting for them to feather out so that we can sex them. Does anyone know when drakes get their coloring?

2. CrittersNPets

CrittersNPets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    W. of Salem, Oregon
    [​IMG] I'd love to know if there is a Saxony thread as well. My males were hatched first week of April and have good color on their heads and have for about 3 weeks I think.? So about 12 to 14 weeks should be easy. Mine were fairly easy to vent sex as babies, but much tougher with some size on them (for me as a newbie anyway). I love them and hoping they'll agree to lay well for me in their future (the females that is, lol, NOT the males).

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    'I've decided Saxony ducks are the breed I would like to raise... but I can't find a source for quality birds.

Holderread's Waterfowl won't be shipping ducklings until next April, I would rather hatch and I want my duckies NOW! Not next year! [​IMG]

Where did y'all get your Saxonies?

4. CrittersNPets

CrittersNPets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    W. of Salem, Oregon
    Holderreads, but I see ducklings on craigslist up here in Oregon fairly often. (like the corgi avatar)

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Quote:Hm. I'll probably end up having to wait. [​IMG]

Thanks, that's my Toby.

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Did you look in the duck section for the Saxony thread? I am pretty sure there is one.
    I was reading all I could before I got my Saxony from Holderreads this past spring.

So far I am loving the Saxony ducks and I have many different breeds of ducks.
    I will be breeding my Saxony next year and offering eggs for sale. I only have 4 females but had 7 drakes! I sold 2 drakes yesterday and all my Golden Cascade drakes so I will probably put 2 Saxony drakes with my 5 Golden Cascade girls. Those ducks are crazy. They need to be bred down to stay calm like my Saxony.

Saxony ~4 mths old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by