Scab on top of EE comb, help!

chicken_harpist

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2022
Central FL
Hey all!

One of my 20 week old EE hens has a spot on her comb that’s scabby.

I went out of town for a week and had a friend watch the chicks. When I came back, the feed was really, really low and this chicken had a little rough patch.

Fast forward a month, and it looks like the picture attached. I saw there was a tiny speck of blood on the top of the scab. I sprayed some Veticyn on it and will see how it goes in the next few days. My main concern is if the other hens see it and pick her to death. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• DDDFCFC4-6A4B-4B0F-AB27-ADD6BC8BCA49.jpeg
    DDDFCFC4-6A4B-4B0F-AB27-ADD6BC8BCA49.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DB8D5ED7-3367-4ACE-A28E-0ADA80F7880D.jpeg
    DB8D5ED7-3367-4ACE-A28E-0ADA80F7880D.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 2
How much space do your birds have?
How many birds do you have?
That looks like somebody actually tore a tiny piece of her comb off. It's going to heal. It's not that bad. But if you have space or boredom issues, you're going to continue to have problems like this.

Hey! And thanks!

After posting, I figured it was as such. I’ve got 5 EE 20 week old hens and they haven’t had any issues before.

Their coop has four feet of roosting space, but they all group together on one.

There is a dust area below the coop (8’x2’) and that leads to a square run (8’x8’) with multiple levels to roost there. I’ve also got one bucket with three holes for feed, and a bucket with four horizontal nipples. I also keep a (relatively) fresh pan of water and daily scratch and frozen melon for these hot Florida summers.

I’m going to try to add some more fun things to help occupy them in the run. I’m also going to continue to spray the Veticyn and grab some pecking spray tomorrow.

Thank you for helping me, and truly thank you to all who write on these forums,,,, being a first time chicken parent is a lot! Xoxo

Back
Top Bottom