Scabby+swolen bump (only one bump) on hen's comb, no other lessions. Desperately need help!!

HensSweetHens

Songster
Aug 17, 2018
Hello dear chicken keepers! Please please forgive my long post, but I am completely at a loss, and had to give the whole story.
I desperately need your advice or any kind of input on my situation. I don't want to loose my girl!!!

Amber - my chicken who is the most robust and energetic hen has developed a large bump on her comb that won't go away now for 5 days. She was her own self 4 days ago with a small (about 2/16 of an inch) scab on her comb - only one scab. It was crusted over and I thought it was one of those small "pecking injuries" as she gets pecked sometimes by one of our chickens.

DAY 1. Then beginning of this week (4 days ago) I noticed Amber was not active and standing around a lot. I picked her up that day and felt her crop, which was a bit harder than normal. I brought her in right away, inspected her body and didn't find anything wrong. The scab was looking better actually - thinner crust, best way I can explain. But right under the scab and around was what seemed to be a raised bump, not to noticeable at all and the color of it was consistent with the rest of the comb, except for barely visible whitish spots. It didn't look like puss to me.
Other symptoms: Sneezing, watery discharge from nostrils. Rattling sound in her lungs. I put a humidifier with Oxine near her all day and all night (I did it many times before, it seemed to help).

DAY 2. Amber stayed inside the house for the night and morning of day 2 I felt the crop. She wasn't empty. Ok, time to treat impacted crop, which of course grew into sour crop over the last 3 days. (I am used to treating sour crops over the past 6 years of having chickens.) She seemed feverish, but I figured she might be trying to battle something.
Other symptoms: Doesn't get up much. When she gets up, or tries to walk she is VERY woobly, as if drunk. She seems really out of it, almost looking "delirious" as when the fever is too high. I gave her Aspirin (1/3 of the 81 mg tablet).
Have been giving her lots of water with garlic and feeding her yogurt. Wipes of iodine on the bump, several times a day, to dry it out. Sneezing/discharge almost stopped. Rattling in lungs is less.

DAY 3. I noticed that Amber stopped eating or drinking and has been slowly emptying out with green liquid poops. That day I noticed two round worm in her poop (separate occasions of poo), so I've given her a doze of Valbazen orally right away. She felt warmer than other chickens, and I measured her temperature. It showed 110 F. After disinfecting the area I poked the elevated bump with a small needle right into the whitish spots and gently squeezed, trying to express whatever created that elevated surface under the scab. Nothing came out, but a drop of blood. Thinking that she has been running fever to battle possible infection, I gave her Tylan 50, 1/2 cc orally that same night.
Other symptoms: Can stand and tries to walk - only when prompted - but VERY wobbly and goes to her spot and sits down right away!
Have been giving her lots of water and feeding her yogurt and some of the egg yolk mixed together.
Sneezing/discharge almost stopped. Rattling in lungs is less. Fever was again about 110'F, gave her Aspirin.

DAY 4. Crop is emptying, but slowly. Less green in the poo, but still very watery. Bump has become a bit larger. I've been putting Cortizone cream on it all day.
Gave her boiled egg yolk and some white. Bump is the same.
No other symptoms so far. She is just weak and wants to sit all the time. Doesn't drink or eat on her own still. Didn't see her sneeze at all. Rattling is minimal. Fever was again about 110'F, so I gave her Aspirin again.

DAY 5. No other new symptoms so far, not many changes either. Doesn't eat/drink. I feed her egg and yogurt, not too much. Crop feels just a tiny firmer. No more stinky burps, I think it's healing. I am being cautious with amount of food, so that I don't cause sour crop again. Poos aren't green any more - lots of just clear liquid with urine. I have been giving her Tylan for 3 days now morning and evening, and Aspirin for two days (perhaps I should decrease the amount of Tylan to once per day, but I am afraid that a possible infection will take over). I give her lots of water by dropper.
Today also I didn't see her sneeze at all. Rattling is minimal. I did poke the bump again with a needle to try to drain possible puss, no luck at all, just a drop of blood.

I am really out of answers. She only has ONE bump. It's not oozing, looks dry all the time. Nothing else on her body/face. No lesions inside her mouth, no discharge from anywhere. Comb color mostly normal. My chickens are free from lice/mites. (I live in Colorado, just is someone has a reputable chicken expert here nearby). I've been researching day and night for what might be going on, nothing is consistent with symptoms of Fowl Pox. She is not herself at all, doesn't drink or eat on her own, has constant fever! Can't keep her balance when trying to walk. So, she just sits!

PLEASE PLEASE HELP! Any advice is wholeheartedly appreciated! Please see pictures attached.
IMG_3848.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

Thank you so much, Flockandfowl46 for your response!!! I really appreciate that you took time to respond to our call! I hope someone else will see this and pitch in... Please!
Any kind of advice, anything I can do that might help my poor little girl...

I offered her boiled egg, chopped greens, finely diced tomatoes, and mash (chicken feed - finely ground to powder in a coffee grinder) - all in small amounts. She quickly gobbled up lettuce, but wasn't interested in anything else. I dropper-fed the egg and yogurt mixed together with vitamins and electrolyte water (My dropper has a bigger opening, so it can suck in the mash well.)

Latest updates from today - Day 6.
The thermometer I've been using has been going up to 109.9F and then would show "H" and then in a few second's beeps. early this morning I measured her temperature - it was a bit lower now - 109.3 F. Maybe giving aspirin and Tylan 50 this morning helped, or perhaps the harshness of the dewormer lessened.
I did not know that worming an ill bird can push her over the edge. And today I found out that here in BYC forum. I will definitely keep that in mind. I am going to post a video today, just for more information.

I greatly appreciate your posts!!! Words can't say!
I will follow your advice you guys have given and also give her more food! I'll be back with some more details in a bit!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you, everyone!!!

I really don’t have anything to add. I haven’t seen a lesion like that before, so a spider bite could make sense, especially if it is not full of pus. The white sround the lesion looks suspicious for a bite or sting.

The high fever could be affecting her digestion and emptying of the crop. Have you double-checked the thermometer to make sure it is working? Usually temperatures can drop low when they are not eating much. Normal is between 103 and 107, but it varies as to when they have eaten. The vets can be helpful for antibiotics or antiinflammatory drugs, but many don’t know a lot about rare problems. Some who have their own chickens may be more helpful. I doubt if anyone can help you much, other than just giving your supportive care and nutrition. You seem to be doing the right things. Hopefully she can eventually get over this.

Hello Eggcessive! Thank you so much for coming to my thread and for your input!!!
I agree with you, the whitish spots/bumps look suspicious! I am very puzzled by all this myself... I looked up venomous spider bites images and a lot of them do have those very similar white edges/bumps and similar appearance as a whole - like the one on my Amber. I was surprised to see such similarity! But I do not know what ultimately it is.

The thermometer works well (it's a good thought though to always make sure). I've checked it on myself before I started to use it for Amber. I hope and pray she recovers from this too! I think I will start looking into treating spider bites tomorrow and some home remedies that people have seen success with healing. I am also hopeful that maybe someone else who has had similar story, will find this thread and share their thoughts because so far there is not much improvement with my poor bird :-((((...

Please someone help me! Today Amber isn't opening her eyes much. PLEASE I need some advice....Has anyone seen anything like my Amber is going through?
I tried to lacerate the bump just now - made a cut under the whitish stuff, thinking there might be puss inside that's causing all this fever, then I pushed on the bump to squeeze it out. Nothing came out. All I could see were the fibers/flesh of the comb on the inside of the cut, the edges looked white , but no puss.
She is getting worse by day... Please someone help!

Last edited:
I would start by giving her electrolytes for sure or nutri drench to give her a boost I'm not saying it's mareks but if it is all you can do is offer supportive care and hope she recovers...i just worry about this virus because of all her accompaniment of symptoms hopefully someone else will chime in soon hun

Back
Top Bottom