Scabs on Comb, wattles, and around eyes.

Chicky Lover

Songster
Mar 28, 2020
Texas
Hello BYC! I am concerned about my chickens, they have scabs on their combs, wattles, and around their eyes. Any information will be great.
16010595561137624521109893282399.jpg
16010600489303808739421486114871.jpg
20200921_121717.jpg

Please anyone? I am very concerned and would just like some reassurance.
It looks like pox. Pox is a relatively slow spreading viral infection of chickens characterized by scab-like lesions on the skin of the unfeathered body parts and/or diphtheritic (wet) membranes lining the mouth or air passages. It has been present in chickens since earliest times and is found throughout the world.

It looks like pox. Pox is a relatively slow spreading viral infection of chickens characterized by scab-like lesions on the skin of the unfeathered body parts and/or diphtheritic (wet) membranes lining the mouth or air passages. It has been present in chickens since earliest times and is found throughout the world.
The course of the disease in individual birds takes three to five weeks. Most birds will continue to eat and drink normally.

Is there a preventative? More info: they are 7 months, 4 are laying, they are on layer feed, healthy eggs, one hen the white one pictured is less active and has been closing one eye since Wednesday.

I think you have to let it run it’s course. But I haven’t been in this situation before.
This is what I would do:
I would give fresh water more and clean the waterer more often. Do a deep cleaning of the coop.
I wonder if there is something to put on the pox to prevent infections, but I don’t know if this is an issue for fowl pox.

This looks like fowl pox and you could dab the lesions carefully with iodine to help with the itching and make it dry out and fall off sooner.

Some vitamin supplement added to their water will help their overall well-being.

As this is a virus transmitted by mosquitos there is no prevention possible and it will run its course.

Is there a preventative? More info: they are 7 months, 4 are laying, they are on layer feed, healthy eggs, one hen the white one pictured is less active and has been closing one eye since Wednesday.
Observe her more closely to ensure she is able to eat and drink sufficiently. Feel her crop in the evening to see if it is full.

Back
Top Bottom